Training

After the Tribute Parade, I was glad to have been escorted to my room. The Districts were arranged from One at the first floor of the Training Center and Twelve at the penthouse – probably because they were so poor that they needed to be consoled before getting slaughtered. I was relieved to have finally took off everything that my team put on me earlier, Cato, however, looked pissed off. Still pissed off. He had been like that ever since Twelve stole all the attention from us. I was used to it, since back in the Career Center, I really wasn't somebody to want all the spotlight on me... It just kind of goes to me since I am the only daughter of Magdalena. But Cato, this Cato, hated it. He liked the attention and I guess he wasn't going to share it with anyone, especially if it was District Twelve.

"Calm down, Byrnes, nobody's looking anymore." I raised an eyebrow at Cato as we flopped ourselves on the large sofas while our mentors, stylists and team finished their dinner. There were more servants here, Junius called them Avoxes, and I gestured for them to go and give us privacy since I wasn't going to share anything about myself while they're here. "Hey, snap out of it. They're nothing. We'll kill them immediately, they're from District Twelve. No matter how good their stylists are, they won't stand a chance against us in the arena."

Cato growled, "This is a matter of life and death, Clove. If you aren't too concerned about that then I am. Sponsors mean a lot in this Game and with this kind of attention on them, they can steal any sponsor we could ever have and that... That's lethal." He was pressured because it dawned on him the reality that maybe, we couldn't get out alive. "We need all the help we can get, you know that!"

"I do know that! But it won't help us if we worry about it constantly so stop worrying!" I have had it, if he isn't going to calm down then I am not going to allow myself to be like him. "Those Capitol people will spot a winning District, they've had a few Games to practice judging tributes like us. They will see through all that...fire... and decide that they're all costumes and props. Well, we're not like that. We can fight. We can actually fight and that girl's fire isn't going to help."

"The boy was on fire too," Cato reminded me with a small strained smile on his face, "Are you done?"

"I barely noticed the boy was there." I took a deep breath and nodded, "Yes. Are you?"

Cato nodded and leaned back on his seat, "Sorry. I wasn't thinking straight. I guess I just wanted us to secure that winning spot, you know. I don't want anyone to get in the way." He closed his eyes and ran his fingers through his hair. "Especially those wimps from Twelve. I don't know why they even try, you know. Their mentor isn't going to help them live but I guess he's doing his best to make the whole thing easier for them by giving them the best of everything."

"Yeah, before they're sentenced to death." I smirked, "You know, I would like to make it easier for them too. I could simply flick my wrist and make a knife hit the square of their bony backs."

"You're a psychopathic little monster, aren't you?" He opened his eyes and laughed at me. "Well, thanks. I needed that." Cato sat up and yawned, "It's been a long and rough day. I better go and get some rest." He looked tired as he stood up and stretched. I sat there, wondering at what tomorrow might be. "Stop thinking, Holt, you're going to strain yourself. Let's just sleep early and give our best for the training tomorrow."

I nodded and smiled, "Yeah, I guess." He left a few minutes after I did and that was just because I was just sitting there and trying to tell myself that I was really here. I don't know why there are moments today that it seems surreal...almost surreal to me. After a very short time of thinking, I decided to tell myself to go to bed so I can get to training early tomorrow. That was the part of the Games which I am pretty excited for.

The next day came quick and it felt like I wasn't able to get some sleep. My head was even throbbing real bad. I sluggishly joined Cato, Enobaria and Brutus for breakfast. "Clove, straighten up! It's a bright, bright, bright sunny day!" Andrew Smotherbee's cheerful presence made me cringe. He was wearing something very yellow, it almost radiated his irritating happiness. I looked up at him and scowled, which made him pale in fear and step back. "Fine." He said with a small voice.