Preparation

On the last day of training, we each had a private session with the Gamemakers. We were all gathered in the dining room for lunch and then they called us out, district by district. I was glad that I got to go fourth - you see, it was male and then female – because I could go and rest before the Games start. I wanted to flush out the guilt that was starting to creep under my skin. I am willing to kill for my dreams, for my goals and for my life but I was really conscious with the fact that some of these kids, I was thinking most of them, will be dying in my hands. I had to go to the Games without any feelings or hesitation at all. Without anything to block my path. It is hard, knowing that somehow I became a 'feeling' person. I blame Cato.

The dining room was quiet, especially when they called Marvel. He stood up, giving us a big confident grin. The Careers were as quiet as the others because we were all concentrating on what we had to do in front of the Gamemakers to get a high score. Careers always get high scores: eight was abysmal; nine was so-so; ten was good; eleven was brilliant; and twelve was unattainable. I wanted a twelve but no one, in the history of the Games, ever got it. I hope I would but eleven was okay too.

I thought of the logic on the scores. Why twelve? Why not fifteen? Why not the usual ten? But I got it. There are Twelve Districts, originally Thirteen, and then just for the sake of it, they made the poorest district the highest attainable score. It was a thought to ponder on but it amused me for a short time.

"So, what are you two doing?" Glimmer spoke silently. She was sitting closely with Cato, as she had been before. It was an irritating sight. "I'm going to use those lovely bow and arrows. I'm pretty good with them, you know."

On a scale of one to ten? Five. Okay. Five point one. Okay okay. Five point two. I looked away as I thought that. We weren't really in good terms but for the sake of the alliance (they had to take me in because of Cato's terms) I had to be civil. Well, til the bloodbath.

Cato shrugged but we all know it'll be with a sword. No one answered Glimmer so the conversation ended. Actually, it wasn't a conversation but I didn't know what else to call it. We all went silent again as Glimmer was called. Marvel did not come back so we guessed that after the session, we go back to our rooms. After fifteen long minutes, Cato was called. He stood up and stretched his long limbs, "Wish me luck, Clover." He smirked at me, just so he can see my reaction. He hasn't called me Clover ever since leaving the District.

"Just go before I stab you with my fork." I responded, which made Jeany move slightly away from me.

My heart pounded as he left, it was nearly my turn. Damn. I hate nerves.

They say that when you're having fun, time goes quickly and when you're not, it goes slow but why was it that the fifteen minutes given to us seemed so short because after a while, I was called.

I stood up and marched to the gymnasium, where the private sessions were held. As I enter the room, I heard voices so I looked up and saw the Gamemakers, those who had been watching us during our trainings. They were watching me intently, some of them instantly wrote things on a clipboard they had on their laps and the others were just watching. My eyes went and surveyed the room for my favorite set of knives and they were laid on a table nearby as though waiting for me. I took them in my hands and smiled, Clove, you can do this.

Before turning towards my usual targets, I took a deep breath. Finally, I turned around and hit my first dummy, the one with a severed parts. I ran and my favorite station, the one with the moving targets, came to life. My lips twisted to a smirk. I stood, from the line they marked for the appropriate distance, and then stepped back. One, two, three, four, five. Okay, enough. I smirked, pulled up my throwing knives, and started my show. I hit one, turn around as though to confuse myself, and hit another. It went on and on, as though it was a dance. I left the one on the middle untouched and with another five steps back, I stopped.