The Reaping

There was loud and unusually happy chattering through the crowd as I went forward to register myself with the rest of the sixteen year olds. I can't believe that later I won't be in the District anymore. I was feeling a surge of energy as I walked towards the cluster of teenagers... maybe it was from excitement, dread or whatever... I'm not good with identifying emotions. But at the moment, I'm just going to pick excited. I am. I'm excited of leaving and never seeing Magdalena for a short while or forever (if I get killed, it's a win-win situation for me).

I looked up at the Justice Building and saw the usual Capitol-embossed decorations all over the place, it was sickening. I never liked the Capitol very much, I saw them as self-indulgent and stupid like most of the people around here. Whenever I get a glimpse of the people from the Capitol, I'm repulsed by how they looked like...by how almost inhuman they look like in comparison to all of us. I wonder if they still have their normal features underneath all those stuff they put on their face.

I shuddered at the thought that maybe this year, the designers would make us look like them. What would I do then? I can't kill them...Can I?

Suddenly there was silence and the Mayor Jaurin, District Escort Andrew Smotherbee (what's up with people wearing yellow?) and the living Victors of the District went out of the Justice Building and took their respective places. They were all muttering excitedly to themselves, as though they're going to see an exciting spectacle and they might as well since nobody but the District knew about me and Cato. Andrew Smotherbee was going to have the ride of his life when he sees us volunteer, he always gets so excited that his wig would jump from his head.

The mayor stood up and greeted everyone a loud, "Happy Hunger Games!" Which was then returned by thousands of excited District Two people. He then smiled as he asked the crowd to settle down before he read the long and sleep-enticing history of Panem which always ends to this Hunger Games which actually is a punishment but was masked by the Capitol as a festivity to be celebrated. The only positive thing about this is the fact that the Victor will be rich beyond belief and considered as a famed celebrity in Panem, this was the part that I craved.

If I win, Magdalena will lose her power over me because I am a Victor myself, I'm not just her daughter but I will have my own wealth, I won't depend on her anymore... Wait. If I win... Cato won't... I turned my head towards the seventeen year olds by the front and saw, quite easily, Cato who was looking so pensive that it was hard not to be threatened by him. He had his lips pursed tightly and his eyes boring straight at Andrew Smotherbee who was speaking so jovially right now. As I stared at Cato, I remembered the warm lips which gave me my first kiss and felt my cheeks burn slightly. What the hell is this? What is wrong with me?

My heart jumped as he turned his head towards me, his eyebrows meeting in anger. His lips were moving and I had to wake myself up from my stupor to actually read what he was saying, "Volunteer now, Clove" I whipped my eyes towards the stage and saw that the Victors plus the Mayor was looking at me pointedly, waiting for me to volunteer for the twelve year old who was slowly marching up the stage. Suddenly, I raised my hand and yelled, "I volunteer!" I went towards the young child and pushed her out of the way... I didn't mean to but this is what I signed up for. I had to be ruthless, power-hungry...everything I was. The only good thing to this is that I was saving this young girl's life for another year... She won't stand a chance in that arena without training.

The Peacekeepers escorted me up the stage and I stood beside Andrew Smotherbee and his bright yellow get up. He asked for my name and I smirked proudly, "Clove Holt, the next Victor." What I said made him giddy.

"You aren't the daughter of Magdalena Holt, are you?" He asked with a bright smile which nearly blinded me. I nodded and he squealed happily, "Oooh, exciting!" He then tried to contain himself and looked back at the crowd. "And now, the boys!" He looked very happy to be here as he did the years before. Andrew put his hand inside the bowl containing the names of the boys and I met Cato's eyes. He looked determined and uncaring, I guess he could pull off the role better than I could. "And the male tribute for District 2 is..."