Hope

Marvel, Cato and I were the last Careers in the arena and we have retreated from the Cornucopia to the lake. The Cornucopia had been sabotaged by a mystery tribute and we weren't sure if he or she had died along with our supplies. We weren't stupid enough to set camp in the forest itself because it was our disadvantage – Katniss seemed comfortable there and we weren't.

I regretted not having to focus on the survival skills.

Atala, Head Trainer from the Capitol, said we shouldn't disregard it but I had been too focused on intimidating rather than surviving. I don't actually want to admit it but she was right. She was very right.

We waited for the recap of the dead tributes because we needed to know who was responsible for our misfortune. It was just a disappointment for us that night. All the photos show were District 3 and District 10. There was no one else. I frowned at Cato, who realized the same thing I did, "Marvel killed 10. I killed that boy from Three." His grip on his sword was so tight that his knuckles turned white, "The one who ruined our supplies is still alive."

Because of this revelation, Cato decided that we were going to hunt that night. He was determined more than ever to catch whoever it was who made us look stupid in front of the whole of Panem. It was District 3 who introduced to us the use of the night-vision glasses but only Cato and I had acquired them. Marvel had to light a torch to be able to see in the darkness.

Like most days, we did not find a tribute. Cato was now in the worst mood I have ever seen him. He cursed more and actually nearly killed off Marvel because Cato thought he was making too much noise. District 1 was just walking.

I did not talk to him since I don't know what to say. I don't even care much about his moods. Hunger Games affected Cato's personality deeply – I understand that it is because Cato actually wanted to win and stay alive. He was under a lot of pressure. Cato has his family to go back home to.

Although I did too, I still had the mindset that this is a win-win situation for me. If I win the Games, I am going back to the District. I am going to take my grandmother away from my mother and we are going to live the rest of our lives together. I am also planning to support Cato's family – only one has to survive, of course, so the thought is inevitable. However, if I die, I will end this miserable thing I call my life. I am really grateful to have met Cato Byrnes but I just wanted to go. I could die. I could win. Whatever happens, I'm okay with it.

Cato's mood did not improve the next day. He was still angry, he wasn't even talking to any of us.

Marvel looked like he also did not know what to do with the lack of supplies. I kept quiet throughout the day. It was the worst day in the whole Hunger Games. We were hungry and we had limited supplies. We should have prepared... How could we prepare for this? We didn't know we would be outsmarted.

Because of the tension, Marvel stood up and said, "I'll go and see the traps we made." He took his spear and started to walk away from us.

Cato looked at me from his position by the edge of the water, "Tell me a story."

I turned my head to him and frowned, "What for?" He didn't answer so I gave out a sigh, "Let me think."

"Where's your father?"

My green eyes met with his blues at his question.

"Good question." I smiled weakly, "I actually am tempted to tell you a sob story about how he died but I am not going to lie to you." I threw a stone to the water, "I don't know where he is. I never met him. My mother never talks about him. My grandmother doesn't either. I don't ask questions."