The Begining of the End

After flying a good hundred feet, I heard flapping beside me. Glancing over I could see Gabriel to my right and Michael to my left. Still slightly pissed off at him I ignored them and pushed myself harder. It felt great to climb, to soar so high that all else seemed to simply fade into nonexistence. I loved the freedom my silvery white wings brought me. There is only one thing that could possibly feel better than flying, and that was being held by my brother.  When he was here we were almost inseparable, when he was away I missed him terribly. He had always been the good big brother, he took care of me, consoled me after our mother’s death. I flew faster, eager to see him again. I couldn’t help but grin as the meeting ground came into view. Today the skies were clear and my brother would be returning. I hadn’t seen Rafael in four months.

I gathered more strength and dove down, my long fiery red hair dancing with the wind as my emerald eyes zoned in on my target. Without slowing down I flew right in to Rafael’s arms, unceremoniously. A deep laugh rippled through his chest as he used my momentum to lift himself up and twirl me around. After a fit of laughing and holding each other he placed me down softly.

“I missed you little one.” He whispered before letting go.

“I missed you too, frater.” I said just before Michael and Gabriel swooped down. Gabriel embraced my brother as if he were his own sibling. Michael, however, stalked up to me.

“You may be angry with me but never ever pull a stunt like that again. You are my responsibility from the moment you are out of Rafael’s sight to the second you are in his presence again. Do I make myself very clear?” his words were stern and even, making them even more menacing than if he had yelled. But I didn’t earn my position as Arc angel but batting my eyelashes. Striating myself to my full height, which his six foot five frame still towered over my five foot seven length, I would not let him see me cower away like he wanted.

“It’s not my fault you can’t keep up.” I replied and then strode off in the direction of the building where all angels attended training sessions.  

“And besides, Michael, why do you care?” I called over my shoulder, not wanting a response but still a small part of me wanted some sort of answer as to why Michael cared what happened to me, I was just the annoying little girl that needed and escort 24/7, nothing more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>…

BEEP! BEEP!! BEEP!!!

The loud blaring jolted me from my dream. Sitting up and out of breath, I barely noticed my now black wings were out. Being condemned and special I was given a choice, keep my wings or have them ripped off. The familiar feel of hatred and rage poured through my veins at the memory of that day. My wings began to vibrate ready to go into battle and to annihilate the demons that condemned me. I clamed my breathing just as my alarm went off again, signaling that I had forty five minutes to get ready and be on the road if I wanted to make it to Arizona on time. Sighing I pushed myself out of bed and forced my wings back into the tribal wing tattoo on my back.

I hopped in the shower and hopped out in about five minutes, it doesn’t take long to wash short hair. I slipped on my favorite pair of faded jeans and a plain dark gray tee. Stepping into my knee high combat boots, I snatched my keys, sunglasses, duffle bag and black leather jacket before slipping out the door and making my way to my blue Yamaha r6. I revved the engine before peeling out of the parking space and out of L.A. I never really liked the city. The convenience was a great commodity but the humans were another story. There were the few humans I would call good and at least descent but the rest were arrogant and ruthless.

I drove for miles thinking on how twisted the holy holiday had become. And how humans could disappoint so easily and they did it without even blinking. Some humans reminded me of the demons that stole everything away from me. If only I had taken Michael’s words to heart, then maybe I wouldn’t be here.

*Flashback*

I vaguely remember being thrown out of bed. But the fall was much too long. I only realized that I had been pulled from heaven after my body had hit the hard asphalt of a dank alleyway. I was hit in the head by something hard. I could feel the blood begin to pour from the gash in my forehead. I forced my eyes open only to see three sets of glowing yellow and red eyes stare hungrily at my body. Pushing all the pain aside I jumped up to face the three demons that could be after only one thing, my essence. Pulling a knife out I faced them determined not to go down. But I had not seen the fourth demon approach me from behind. He injected me with a drug, one I did not know the name of all I knew was that even though my body was paralyzed, my mind was in full swing. So I felt every touch their hands had burned on me. I wanted to cry out but I couldn’t, not even when they penetrated me. I felt, saw, and heard everything that night. And hours later while the drug’s effects were beginning to wane did they give me the choice of keeping my wings or losing them. I gave them my answer with a quick slash to each throat. I watched as they disintegrated into nothing, but the damage had already been done. My once pure wings were now stained black as hatred consumed my soul.

*End of Flashback*

The gas light beeping on brought me back to the present. Sighing, I still mulled over whether or not I heard someone calling to me as I fell. I shook my head and pushed those thoughts aside, I would focus on getting gas or I would lose my temper and kill a few low life demons as I have for the past few years. I glanced up and noticed a gas station just up ahead. I pulled over and noticed the three cars in the parking lot. One was in a shop while the other two stood outside.

‘Well at least it’s not abandoned.’ I thought as I cut the engine and proceeded to fill her up.  Loud gun shots came from inside the building not wasting time I sprinted to the shop and came face to face with a scene I prayed I never had to see.