Typical | Chapter Three*

Filler

Nico

Nico carefully walked towards the hat and his eyes flickered to the staring eyes of the wizards and witches. When he made quick eye contact, the wizard or witch would hurry and look away. Typical, he thought. As he was strolling up slowly, he locked eyes with Harry. Harry smiled loosly, as if it was a more strained effort. He shook his head. How much more 'typical' can I get at the school, he thought to himself once more, before making it to the seat where the hat stood. McGonagall grabbed the hat as he sat down and placed it on his head. Nico shifted uncomfortably. The hat was torn and old, and he could feel all the leather peeling on the inside. But it wasn't just that, either. The stares he got from the wizards and witches was a little unnerving. It soon passed as he just realized that the hat was attempting to break into his fortified mind. Immediately, the boy clenched his fist and pulled up his barriers. Even if it, or he, was just a hat, he wouldn't let his memories flow oh so easily.

My oh my, what a wizard you are.

Nico held his breath as he heard the hat speak. More so, in his mind.

Get out of my head. Nico spoke in his head. I would rather not like company in my mind.

I'm afraid I cannot do that, Mr. Di Angelo.

Oh really? You can get in but simply cannot get out? Very believable.

Nico could practically feel the irritation prickling off the hat for a second.

I must, to sort you into a house. Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff. Let's see who you fit into must, mhm?

..Are you sure? My memories... Nico hesitated. They're quite... a misery.

Yes.

Nico slowly let his walls crumble, collapse into the oblivion of his mind. The worst of his memories trickled out of his mind. There were small ones, like fighting off the monsters on his own. And then there were the more... bloodcurdling ones. He shivered as his deepest memories dug through the surface. Tartarus. Seeing Percy with Annabeth. Bianca...

He wouldn't have known until he overheard Harry later. He didn't know the shadows crept closer to his body as he swam through his torturous memories. He didn't know that the temperature dropped lower than the incantations tried to do. He certainly didn't notice that the hat was quivering in fear and shock. Nico was too focused on keeping his falling façade of calmness on his face.

W..what are you showing me..?

Nico chuckled bitterly.

My life. My Akhlys blessed life.

No... This is a mind of-

If you may, shut up and sort me already.

The hat visibly tensed (can a hat tense) and crinkled in fear.

I do not know where to put you... You aren't very loyal... are you? Perseu-

Percy.

-Percy is far more loyal than you. You are very intelligent, but that isn't a very apparent trait. Hmm... then there is Slytherin. You are very cunning and can trick the finest of foes. However, you've managed to STAY SANE after all of the tortur-

That 'torture' is my life, sir.

-horrible things in your life. That requires great bravery.

Nico twitched. On the inside, he knew he wasn't quite 'brave.' He was called a coward many times for simply disappearing into the shadows. Into the inky darkness where no one can see him.

Just..just choose already. Please.

Fine then, Nico di Angelo.

The hat squirmed and twisted until its mouth opened widely, attempting to bellow the house it had chosen. Nico waited impatiently, as the hat was just about to speak when suddenly the hall exploded in light. The light seared into Nico's mind and he clutched his head tightly. He shuddered wildly and swayed uncontrollably. The light only intensified, and Nico couldn't help but think one thing..

Typical.