Chapter 2: Gaining Acceptance

Thorin waited until Dis, Rhonwen, Fíli, and Kíli had left the room. Then he turned and leaned against the mantel the the Council Chamber, thinking. He played with the emerald ring in his hand. Though it wasn't the orginal ring that had been given to his grandfather's grandfather, it still was a ring that his grandfather, Thror had worn as a symbol of his rule. It wasn't as important, or as great as the Arkenstone, but Rhonwen's father, Falin had risked his life to enter Erebor... He sighed, and came back to the present.

Balin and Dwalin were discussing the doings and history of Falin. They had not known he had married or had children. But of course, it was more than a hundred years since Smaug had entered Erebor. Soon, they finished and one by one, they departed for their own chambers for rest.

Somewhere else in the mountain city, Fíli and Kíli lay on their cots in their tiny room

Somewhere else in the mountain city, Fíli and Kíli lay on their cots in their tiny room. Tiny, but not because it had been built that way. No, it was small, yes, but with plenty of room. One must take into consideration the fact that two dwarves, sleeping on cots on the floor, their clothing, and other items, not to mention weapons, do take up a lot of room. Kíli rolled over and looked at the ceiling. He turned his head and looked at Fíli, who slept lightly beside him. "Fíli," Kíli hissed.

"Hmm?" Fíli asked, rolling over, and opening his eyes sleepily. "What is it now, Kíli?"

"Nothing. But I can't sleep. Can't you?"

Fíli, now wide awake, smiled, "Yes, I can."

"I wished I could drop off as easily as you," Kíli said, jealously.

"You could, if you had something to think hard about."

"Is that what you do?" asked Kíli, obviously disgusted.

"Aye, brother."

"Well then, what did you think about tonight? Nothing interesting has happened since Glóin over turned the table in his excitement a few days ago and spilled food and drink in everyone's lap."

Fíli laughed. "Well, there is that one arrival."

"You mean Rhonwen?"

"Well, who else? The snow?"

"What's so interesting about her?"

"For one, she's the only dwarf we've met that doesn't have a beard."

"No," Kíli said slowly.

"She braved the wild to finish a mission that was given to her dead father."

"That's true," Kíli nodded.

"Besides, I think her quite pretty. Don't you?" he asked glancing at his brother, who now lay on his stomach, his chin resting on his arms.

"I suppose so," Kíli said with careful caution.

"So go to sleep," Fíli ordered, dropping off himself.