Chapter 19: Changes

Rhonwen skirted the bend, smiling to herself. It was half a year since the wedding and life had changed dramatically. Kíli and his brother now worked in the forges along with the other smiths, mending blunted and ruined weapons and forging new ones. Thorin had busied himself with organizing other groups to carve out more passages into the mountain to make room for the ever-growing population of dwarves. She saw less of them that previously, but at last they had found noble professions on which to spend their time instead of teasing each other all day long. Not to mention Kíli was also busy preparing several rooms as their own dwelling place which could be put off no longer now that they were expecting another member of their small, but growing family.

Rhonwen continued on her way, headed towards Dís' apartments. She knocked on the door and hearing her mother-in-law's voice, entered. Dís was sitting by the window adding the final stitches to another tunic for Fíli. She looked up at Rhonwen and smiled, cocking her head in the direction of a stool that sat in front of her. Rhonwen sat down gratefully and laid down the small basket she had been carrying, picking out the needles and skein of yarn along with the the growing row of stitches that was becoming a warm, woolen blanket for the young one yet to be born. They did not speak for awhile so silence lay between them, interrupted solely by the faint clicking of the kneedles.

"Sa, do ye ken when the child's to be born?"

Rhonwen shrugged. "In about four months, I think."

"What does Kíli say about this?"

Rhonwen laughed. "He can't wait that long, though he'll have too."

Dís smiled. "Aye. I'm a-thinking Coriann's nearly ready for her's."

Rhonwen shook her head in amazement. "Time flies by so fast."

"True enough. What seems like days, weeks, months carrying yer child will one day seem as fleeting as a minute and ye'll wish that ye still had them inside, safe and protected."

Rhonwen said nothing in return. Dís stood. "Well, I need to give this to my last unmarried child and hope it will last longer than a few weeks before it needs mending again," she said with a chuckle. Rhonwen laughed in return before turning her attention back to her knitting.

It was several hours later, and the sun was fastly fading away

It was several hours later, and the sun was fastly fading away. Rhonwen put away her work and went to her own apartments to prepare for supper that night. While there, Kíli entered, covered in soot except in places where sweat streaked down. "You look a mess," she commented, with a smile.

He laughed tiredly. "Dwalin really made us work today. I'm almost too exhausted to go down," he sat down with a sigh onto the edge of their bed. He closed his eyes and as Rhonwen watched him, began to nod.

She sat next to him and whispered into his ear, "You wash and rest. I'll go down without you."

He opened his eyes. "Are you sure, in your condition?"