Chapter 15: A Band of Gold

Rhonwen skirted a bend and nearly knocked down an elderly dwarf, who had a large stack of books in his hands, and at the impact the books scattered everywhere onto the floor. Rhonwen pulled up short and gasped in dismay. "Uncle, I'm so sorry," she apologized, stooping to pick up the books.

Balin also bent down to pick up the books. "Och, lassie. I should have watched where I was going."

Rhonwen looked up. "Uncle, if anyone was, it should have been me. I'm sorry for being careless."

Balin smiled. "Suit yourself," he said amused. When all the books had been gathered and both stood on their feet again, he added, "And congratulations on your engagement. I was wondering when that young fool would gather up his courage and ask you." Rhonwen blushed. Balin continued, clapping his niece on her shoulder, "I looked at the pages you gave me, and they were all correct. Fairly soon you'll be able to tell when it will rain by just sniffing the air. Like me," he finished with a smirk and they both laughed.

Then Rhonwen excused herself and continued running down the corridor. It was a few days after Kíli had proposed to her, but strangly enough she hadn't seen much of him since.

Right now, however, she just wanted a breath of fresh air. She turned another sharp bend where a stone door opened onto a balcony on the outside of the mountain. She opened it and checked. Coriann was sitting on a chair, bent over something. "Oh! I am so sorry. I didn't realize someone was here," Rhonwen said, stepping back into the hallway.

"It's quite alright, Rhonwen. You need not leave," Coriann said, not turning around to see who was in the doorway. Rhonwen stepped onto the balcony. There was an awkward silence for several minutes and then Coriann said, "I owe you an apology."

Confusion reined on Rhonwen's face. "For what?"

Coriann looked up from her work, took it off her lap, stood up, and placed it down on the chair. "For avoiding you."

"Oh," Rhonwen said, cautiously.

Coriann folded her hands behind her back and stared out at the tree tops. "I should also probably apologize for taking Kíli away without saying anything to you." Rhonwen looked down at the floor and didn't say anything. Coriann took a breath and went on. "I mostly wanted to take Fíli away, to get him away from here to help him heal. I then decided to take Kíli with me."

"I see," Rhonwen said, looking up and squinting in the bright sunlight.

Coriann tilted her head back and then turned around to face Rhonwen. "My motive for taking Kíli was to see if he was cut out for the task of marrying and caring for you. And I wanted to know if you were ready and cut out for the task of marrying him and caring for him as well."

"Coriann, since when did you become a match-maker?" Rhonwen asked rather rudely.

Sterness crept into Coriann's voice. "It's not match making, Rhonwen. It's looking out for the best interests of your family. Only a sister that truly loves and cares for her brothers would be concerned that they're not ready to marry or that they may end up marrying someone that's not worthy of that position."

Rhonwen looked down again. "I'm sorry then."

Coriann bent down and started to put her thread and needles away in her work box. "I needed to know if you were worthy of that position. I needed to know how you would do if Kíli were ever called away to war. And according to Mum, you did very well. That was confirmation for me that you would be a good wife for him."

Rhonwen raised an eyebrow,  a wry smile on her face. "So I pass inspection?"

Coriann grinned a bit. "If you'd like to put it that way. Kíli on the other hand, was another matter."