Chapter 14: The Question

Note: For more information regarding Kiliene, please read "Daughter of Middle Earth" by Taleweaverinfinity  

Rhonwen sighed and wrapped her cloak closer around her. The chill night air, so high up in the mountains was colder than she expected. It was no wonder that fires were still lit in the hearths of the mountain city higher up from where she was. She looked up, past the tall pines lower on the mountain side and at the bright, silvery moon that lay between the peaks of two other mountains in the Blue Mountain range.

Kíli had told her to meet him here, outside of the city on the other side of the mountain where the tree line started. He was very mysterious about the matter and Rhonwen waited for him to come. The silent world was no help in sorting her thoughts.

Ten minutes later, she heard a slight crunching sound of someone running down the snowy slopes. One thing Rhonwen still wasn't used to was the fact that snow still stayed on the mountain peaks even in mid-spring. She stood up and faced the direction where the sound was coming from. Presently, she could distinguish a figure bounding down the slope towards her.

"Kíli," she began, irritated. "You're late."

Kíli, who had caught up to her, only grinned and then said, "It was hard to escape from my sister, Coriann. Besides, she's engaged now."

"What?" she exclaimed in amazment. "Are you serious? Or are you pulling some joke as usual?"

"No, I'm not."

"'Not' what?" she retorted. "Not serious? Or not pulling some joke?"

Kíli threw his head back and laughed, saying, "Aye."

"'Aye' what? I wish you tell me in plain words, not riddles," said Rhonwen bewildered.

When Kíli had calmed down from his laughter, he managed to say, "I'm serious, aye. But no, I'm not pulling a joke." He winked and then sat down on the ground. He gestured Rhonwen to follow in like suit. She sat down next to him, leaning back on her palms, looking at him. He continued in a more serious tone. "Actually, Rhonwen, the reason I asked to meet you here was for a different reason."

Rhonwen stared at him. "And what was that?" she asked puzzled.

Kíli turned and gazed at her for a long time. The moon behind her shone through her hair making it almost glow with an unearthly radiance. Then he spoke softly. "I need to ask you something."

"What is that?" Rhonwen asked, ignoring his stare and looking in front of her.

Kíli sighed and reached out his hand and pulled up Rhonwen's chin so that she faced him. "Remember that great battle at our gates?"

"Of course. How could I forget that?"

"Remember what happened before that?"

There was a long pause. Rhonwen stared off into the distance, remembering when Kíli had told her that he loved her. It had been the best day of her life...

A sudden gust of wind whipped around the mountain, blowing into their faces and causing their hair to fly out behind them. The breeze carried with it the sweet, yet strong smell of pine and Rhonwen inhaled deeply before answering Kíli's question. "Yes, I do."

Kíli stood and walked to where Rhonwen was sitting. He pulled her up, placed his hand on her shoulder and looked into her emerald eyes, darkened by the night. "Then Rhonwen, there's something I need to tell you first before I ask my question."