Chapter 23: A New Home

Rhonwen soon returned to the group gathering outside the mountain entrance, her breathing labored. She was not used to this much walking all at once, calling together all the mothers and children. But now it was done and time remained to show what Coriann would say. 

"Attention everyone!" It was Kiliene who was speaking. 

Silence fell upon the crowd of dwarves and all eyes turned to look at Coriann and Kiliene. 

He continued, "My wife and I have surveyed the damage. While this is a great tragedy, there is hope. We can rebuild this stronghold and make sure something like this never happens again. Now, this will take a lot of work, and winter is coming. We don't have time to dilly dally and take a long time in rebuilding. I have been informed that we are waiting on supplies from the dwarf communities around us to reach us. In the meantime, this is what we need to do. The upper halls are livable, they just need a good cleaning and some repair work, but they don't need to be entirely rebuilt. The lower halls are another matter. Coriann?"

"I've had a look at the lower halls, and as Kiliene said, they're in a completely different state from the upper halls. Everything down there is doing to have to be completely redone, this includes the kitchens. I want two clean up crews made up of all able bodied men and boys. This will include the children that are old enough to understand and follow directions."

The younger boys cheered at this and the ghost of a smile flitted across Kiliene's face as he laid out the next instructions. "One group will work to clean up the upper halls, that way we can at least move back inside the mountain. The other group will work to clean up the lower halls. I will head up the first group and Thorin will head up the second group. Coriann will take all able bodied women and girls and work on taking care of the outdoor living arrangements until we can bring everyone back inside. Any questions?"

There were murmurs of "no" and shaking heads. 

Kiliene clapped his hands together. "Good! Then let's get to work!"

Rhonwen turned, watching as the dwarves surged in waves up to the entrance of the mountain, glad to have direction and leadership at last. Thorin, though a capable leader in most circumstances, was at a loss as to how to best deal with this new dilemma. 

"So, Coriann's back!" 

Rhonwen turned to see Kíli coming towards her, blackened by soot. 

"What happened to you?" she exclaimed. 

"Oh, ran into Thorin and we all fell down, the wreckage we were carrying out collapsed on top of us. So yes, we are all three filthy now. Splendid, don't you think?"

She chuckled. "When are you and Fíli ever going to grow up? Our poor child!"

"Which one, Fíli or this one?" He rested his hand for a moment on her swollen belly. 

Rhonwen smirked. "You know which one I meant. Now I must not keep you. The sooner the mountain is cleaned, the sooner we can sleep beneath a roof."

Kìli's face sobered up considerably. "Aye, you are right. Well then, I'll be off." He raised his hand in a salute and sauntered off. 

---

Days passed and the halls of the stronghold stood clean, albeit empty, once more. While the men and boys had cleaned the halls, Coriann had taught the women and girls how to erect temporary shelters to protect everyone from the cool mountain night air. She had also taught them how to set up snares to catch rabbits and smaller game. But she did the larger hunting herself, sometimes taking Hama with her in his sling on her back, other times leaving him with Kiliene or someone else who was willing to watch him.