Chapter 9: Healing and Songs

Rhonwen followed Kíli and Fíli down the corridor with the rest of the dwarves headed in that direction. They were laughing and talking, but now they had fallen silent, each with their own thoughts. Suddenly, Rhonwen nearly fell over, her face twisted with pain. Fíli laughed and said, "Are you trying to imitate Coriann?" but stopped short when he saw her face. "Kíli," he called. They both grabbed her and pulled her to the side, away from the dwarves headed down to the Great Hall. They seated her down and she leaned her head back gingerly, her eyes clenched tight. Soon, she relaxed and opened her eyes to see Kíli and Fíli looking at her, their faces full of concern.

She smiled weakly. "I think I'm alright now."

"Are you sure?" they both asked.

"Maybe we should take you to Coriann," Fíli said.

Kíli looked at his brother. "Where is she anyway? I haven't seen her since this morning before the battle."

"I think she's in her room. Come on, brother, I will need your help." Fíli replied. They both half carried, half dragged her to Coriann's room, despite Rhonwen's demands to walk without help.

They reached the room and Kíli threw the door open. Coriann lay on her bed, apparently asleep, but opened her eyes at the noise her brothers had created. When she saw Rhonwen, she got out of bed. "What happened?" she coaxed.

"I don't know," Kíli said.

Together, they got Rhonwen seated for another look of pain had crossed her face. When she spoke, her voice was strained. "I was kicked by a troll. I landed on my back on stone. It hurt something dreadful, but since nothing else happened except that my vision blurred at the time and my ears rang, I thought I was alright."

Coriann clicked her tongue. "Look down." Rhonwen did so, her head bending towards her knees. Coriann pulled apart the braided hair near the nape of her neck and drew her breath in sharply. Kíli and Fíli both looked and then turned away, looks of disgust on their faces. A serious bruise dominated that part of her head.

"Is it that bad?" Rhonwen tried her best at a jest, but failed for Kíli nodded, a really disgusted look on his face.

Coriann hurriedly gathered some medicines, one of which had a sweet scent that mingled into the still air.  She soaked some of the sweetly scented herbs in boiling water and appling them to the bruise.

"What is that?" Rhonwen ventured.

"Kingsfoil. Lord Elrond of Rivendell used it on my wounds when I was there."

"Oh," was the reply that ended in a sharp intake of breath as Coriann tried to gently place the kingsfoil on the bruise.

"I'm trying to be gentle. I'm sorry if it hurts."

After a bit, Rhonwen spoke, her voice strained. "It's alright. Just hurry up, will you?"

"There, done," Coriann said, stepping back to view her work. She had bandaged up the whole thing and then redid the braids so that is wasn't so noticable. Rhonwen gingerly reached up and touched the back of her neck and head. She winced and pulled away.

Kíli then took Rhonwen out into the hall. Fíli soon followed behind them. 

Soon after the feast, all the dwarves gathered in the Singing Hall

Soon after the feast, all the dwarves gathered in the Singing Hall. Most of them were gathered round the enormous hearth that stood in the center of the room. Kíli and Fíli sat with Rhonwen in a corner, listening to the songs being made by the dwarves. Most of them were about the victory they had had that day. Kíli sat, his knees drawn up in front of him, his elbows resting on his knees, fiddling with some string. Fíli sat, knees crossed, leaning against the wall behind him, eyes half closed. Rhonwen watched them both occasionally, but most of the time lent her attention to the songs being sung.

Suddenly, both Fíli and Rhonwen were startled when Kíli threw down his string in disgust. "I am so tired of just sitting here," he complained.

"Be patient," Fíli commanded.

Rhonwen glanced at Kíli. Slowly, she reached down and her fingers brushed his hand. Kíli's gaze flickered upward and met her own. She smiled. He did the same.

Fíli cleared his throat loudly, causing the other two to look at him. Dís was coming towards them, hands on her hips and a frown on her face. "Fíli and Kíli! Your uncle wants you. Best not to keep him waiting." The two got up reluctantly and went to their waiting uncle. Dís watched them before following them shortly. Rhonwen got up slowly and wandered to the edge of the group, listening and watching. 

Thorin stood on the flat stone that rose a few inches above the rest of the floor, one arm on the ledge above the hearth, the firelight reflecting off of the silver embroidery on his tunic as he gazed into the very heart of the fire. Fíli and Kíli stood nearby, as did many others that Rhonwen had gotten to know during her stay. She saw Thorin ask them something. Kíli and Fíli both looked in her direction, and say something in return, Kíli pointing at her. Thorin turned and looked at her, his silhouette dark against the bright flames. "Rhonwen!" he called.

Rhonwen walked forward awkwardly. "Yes?" she asked timidly, looking up at the figure that towered above her.

Quite unexpectedly, he smiled. His smile was not overly broad, but it had wings to it.  "I wanted to thank you for saving my life earlier."

Rhonwen blushed. "I only did what anyone would do."

Thorin stepped down till they stood level to each other's gaze. He said softly so that not many others could hear, "I know many who wouldn't dare for the love of gold to risk their life for something like that. Please, accept my thanks."

Rhonwen nodded and looked past the figure in front of her to the two dwarves who stood beaming at her, with one of them winking at her. She winked back at Kíli before stepping to where they stood. Kíli nudged her slightly with his elbow and she turned to look at him. He smiled and she grinned back.

A few days later, Coriann pronounced the concussion healed and Rhonwen was finally able to take the annoying bandage off