Chapter 1

The snow was falling so hard there was no way to know which direction it was going. The sky was grey and the every tree was covered in bright white. The air was cold. So cold it was almost unbearable to me; my body was craving some heat. For my worst luck, i left my jacket and gloves in my locker, because the heat was on until the snowstorm started, the energy going out. Now i'm trapped in the music room shivering in a corner as my teeth chattered loudly enough to make Luke turn around and check on me. I've been avoiding his gaze for the past 15 minutes and even ignored him when he approached me, offering me his leather jacket and his gloves. We haven't talked since he dumped me because, according to his idiotic friends, i made him look bad in front of them; probably because i'm not skinny enough, or pretty enough. In fact, i wasn't enough at all to him. And of course, appearances were everything to him back then; don't know now, though. I barely see him and i haven't seen him with the same group of friends he used to hang out with either. 'It's not you, it's me', was the pathetic excuse he used to broke with me over the phone. He didn't explained much and that phone call lasted a over 45 seconds. I thought it was a joke, because he had the audacity of breaking up with me over the phone, so i laughed, because i really thought he was smarter than that —than using that excuse and obviously breaking up with me over a 45 seconds call. I waited for the call; i waited for him to call me and tell me 'babe, it was a joke, i love you', in that soft voice that always made me smile, because i thought his voice was hot. But the call never came and yet i was stupid to think he was making me suffer until the next day; even got excited and walked in school, avoiding the weird gazes people were giving me. I walked towards his locker, where he was taking out his math book and that black, all written over notebook he took everywhere. I remember wrapping my arms around his neck as soon as i saw him. He looked at me weirdly, grabbing my arms and unwrapping them softly. 'What's wrong?', i asked totally confused. He turned his head to a side, as if he was a dog and couldn't understand the words who just came out of my mouth. Then it hit me, it wasn't a joke at all. After 5 months, he was actually breaking up with me. 'It wasn't a joke', i mumbled under my breath, his face dropping instantly. 'Jules', he said trying to reach my hand, making me walk a few steps away from him. 'No', i said, and turned around walking straight to the bathroom, locking myself in one of the stalls and crying my eyes out until second period. After that, i changed all my classes, because i was with him in each one of them. Since then, my daily schedule has been to avoid his gaze; to avoid those skied blue eyes who seemed to look directly at my soul as soon as they met mine.

He was looking at me with eyebrows furrowed. I was shivering, the cold running through my body, making my hands shake ridiculously. I tried to hold them still but the cold was unbearable for my body and i just wanted to scream. Without realizing it, i let out a whimper and moved back and forth in the corner i was sitting. I shut my eyes close to try to focus on everything but the cold invading my spine. Everything around me was silent, the only sound filling my ears was the white snow falling into the green sleeves of every tree outside the school; all i could hear was the snow amounting itself outside, creating the perfect canvas. Footsteps coming my way made me drift from my thoughts, making me open my eyes and look up. There he was, looking straight to my eyes with a soft smile on his face. I felt my mouth curving to form and smile, but I quickly dropped it. I looked to the floor as I played with my fingers nervously. 'What do you want?', I asked not even daring to face him and my voice sounding as harsh as my days have been since we broke up.

'You're shivering', he said, handing me once again his leather jacket. I looked up to meet his eyes, and even in the this dark room, his blue eyes shined as if they were diamonds. I hesitated but found myself grabbing his jacket and mumbling a sloppy 'thank you'. Then he did something unexpected, he smiled. Perhaps smile wasn't the word for it. He was showing the top row of teeth and the curve of his lips danced in his face, making his cheeks pop out. One of his dimples crinkled; his face irradiated warmth, and the fact his smile was so genuine and pure, made a pure of bliss run through my spine. My mouth twitched, and I was beyond sure I was fighting a smile. There was something the way he smiled at me. It was like the cold disappeared and we were in a garden, butterflies dancing in every petal, in every flower. Somehow I felt like the sky went down and was right in front of me; it was the kind of smile that made you realize angels really do exist. For a second, just a brief tiny second I thought I had one in front of me. And that, for some weird reason, made me look at him straight into those blue shiny eyes, as my mouth curved. I was smiling.