Chapter 9

(A/N guys I am so incredibly sorry! I know it has been forever and I feel terrible that I kept you waiting for so long, especially since we’re nearing the end. The only excuse I could give you is that school has been really hard on me this year, keeping me from writing. I also had half of this typed out and then I accidently pulled the battery out so yes I am an idiot. But I felt like I should put it up before going to Spain next week. Anyway, let’s proceed)

Agent Romanoff was already waiting for me when I arrived. We shared a look, a nod, and I followed her inside. Was I supposed to say something to her? I felt like I should, just to thank her at least.

‘Hey, Romanoff?’ She didn’t answer but turned her head in my direction ever so slightly. ‘I know we dislike each other and that you just called me because he asked you to,’ I took a deep breath.

‘Where are you going with this?’

‘I suppose, I suppose I just want to thank you, anyway. So, thanks.’ She mumbled a soft response before smiling a bit.

‘You’ve changed Foster.’ I couldn’t help but smile a little at her words.

‘Yeah, I suppose I have.’

‘It suits you well.’ I wasn’t sure what just happened but it seemed like that was the end of our rivalry. We weren’t friends, obviously. We would need time, a lot of time, but this was the beginning. She came to a stop in front of a door I recognised as his bedroom and looked at me. ‘Go on, you can go in.’ I thanked her again and went in. He didn’t notice my presence at first. He had his back to me and appeared to be looking out of the window. I closed the door behind me soundlessly and lounged against the threshold.

 ‘Hey birdass.’ He chuckled and I could almost feel him roll his eyes.

‘I only know one person who would greet me in that way after not having seen me for god knows how long.’ I grinned as he turned around. I stepped closer and flung my arms around him, burying my face into his chest as he wrapped his arms tightly around my waist.

‘Don’t you dare get your stupid dumb ass in that much trouble again, you hear me? I was worried sick.’

‘Stupid dumb ass? Excuse me, this is a quality ass right here.’

‘Shut up and let me enjoy this hug.’ His chest shook with his laughter.  

__

I wasn’t nervous or scared when I saw all the aliens coming towards me, quite the opposite. I knew this, battlefields, wars, murder, defence, attack; I had seen all of it before. Not with aliens, obviously, but this was all very recognisable. I knew how to come out of these situations alive. I had done it so many times before.

‘Duck!’ I heard Clint yell. As I did an arrow flew right over my head, hitting an alien square in the face. That had been too close, I couldn’t allow myself to let my mind wander off again. I was just about to thank him when he interrupted. ‘Don’t mention it.’ I rolled my eyes in fake annoyance.

‘Don’t get cocky, birdboy. Don’t you have some eggs to hatch?’ A smile, a wink, a desire for a quick kiss. But there was no time for that. We were on a battlefield. This entire city was our battlefield. Buildings were falling apart around us but the people were safe. We were saving the citizens. That was not something I would’ve expected in the past. I wasn’t a hero, I had never been and I would never be. I was not a saviour, I had taken away the lives of many. This had never bothered me in the past, quite the opposite, I had been proud of my kills. Like a hunter showing off the head of his latest victory on the wall. I had been the hunter, proud, self-absorbed, and blind for my downfall. Yet here I was, saving people, hunting the hunters, being the good guy. It felt good, very good, like I had found my calling. I felt like I was finally worth something. I felt redeemed. Redeemed of my sins.

And just as quickly as it had started came the end of the battle. As Romanoff closed the portal Stark had flown in to dispose of the atomic bomb the government had foolishly sent towards New York, thereby risking his own life, a deed braver than I would have given him credit for. And as we stood to say our goodbyes to Thor, who was going to take Loki back to his home planet Asgard to face “Asgardian Justice” (whatever that was supposed to entail), I locked eyes with Sophie who, ordered by her beloved uncle, had steered clear of the chaos of the battle. Her eyes were clouded with tears that she was desperately trying to hide.

‘Soph, wait!’ I called out to her after they were long gone and she was making her way back to her car. She turned around sharply, her eyebrows shooting up in confusion at being called by her nickname. I sighed and breathed in deeply as if gathering up the courage for the apology I was about to make. ‘We used to be such good friends,’ I started almost dramatically, succeeding in an eye roll from the blonde.

‘Oh , save it.’ She grinned. ‘Don’t be so dramatic.’

‘Shut up!’ Was my immediate response. ‘I am trying to apologise here, so hear me out and don’t interrupt.’ She shook her head in mock annoyance. ‘We used to be such goods friends,’ I started again, pausing for a second as if daring her to interrupt me again. She thankfully didn’t. ‘And I know I fucked up on a lot of things.’ She nodded calmly. ‘I’m sorry I was such a bitch when you didn’t really deserve it. I was just a jealous little shit and I shouldn’t have been.’

‘I forgive you, but don’t you dare screw up again.’ She laughed softly. She left and I returned to Clint’s side.

‘We made up.’ He smiled and bent down to kiss my temple.

‘Good. Shall we go now?’ it was finally time to hope for a quiet and easy life.

(A/N thanks a lot for not giving up on me and I hope you enjoyed the last chapter

I’ll go back and do a spellcheck later x)