Chapter seven

Pic of Ben.

Rick's PoV

Lorcan and Ben come barging into my office, nothing new there, but it's the shit eating grins they have on their faces that are new, "what have you done?" I ask sceptically knowing my brothers well enough not to trust the looks they are giving me. "You are going to love me big bro" Lorcan announces obviously proud of himself. "I already love you but what would make me love you more today?" I question. "Well I just so happened to score you a date-" I cut Lorcan off immediately "not interested" he just laughs and turns to Ben saying "oh benny boy, how will we tell his snow angel he's not interested-" I'm interested now so I raise my hand to stop him blabbering on. "Hold up, you actually got me a date with Theo, your lying. If I couldn't directly get him to agree how would you. Somethings fishy here" I know my brother too well he did something.

He looks at me and gulps knowing I'm onto him "ok, now don't get mad but there is a situation we need to discuss about Theo. He came to deliver John Reeds mail and there is something wrong between the two of them. Theo was glaring at John as soon as he walked through the door but I could see fear behind it, I've told you in the past that I don't like or trust that man. I figured I'd test the water a bit so I was overly friendly to Theo to gauge Johns reaction to it. He shrunk in his seat and became deadly pale, the exact reaction I was expecting. I went further and called Theo my future brother in law and the man looked like he wanted to bolt. I could see the fear leave Theo's body and the relief fill his eyes as he decided to play along and mention the date you asked him on. So I casually killed two birds with one stone and told him you'd pick him up Friday, effectively letting John know he's to be left alone and getting you a chance with your man all at once"

I don't know what to say about this so I sit quietly trying to assess the situation, while I would be delighted to take the date it's wrong to manipulate someone into going out with you. Also I need to find out what's going on between John and Theo. I trust Lorcan to have read the situation correctly because he has the same skills at doing so as I have, so if he felt the tension it was there. "Thank you for trying but I'm not going to do that to Theo, if he wants to date me it has to be on his terms. I will find out immediately what's going on between John and himself though you can be guaranteed of that" I tell them.

"Come on bro, listen, call him up here and find out about that but ask him again if he's actually interested in going Friday night, you might be pleasantly surprised. He looked shocked but happy at being strong armed into it. There's something holding him back we all know that, just ask him what" Lorcan suggests. I think he's right, it's been torture keeping away from him these past three weeks. Anyone else would have told Ben to just start taking the mail again but I couldn't take away the only time I get to see him for more than a second, because as discreet as the little fox thinks he is, I still see him at eight sharp every morning.

"Ben, why are you not with Todd, it's time for your evening tutor session?" I only noticed its past four now and Ben's home school session should be taking place right now. "He's outside, I wanted to hear this" he replies making me slightly angry "you know your not allowed to skip that session. You asked to work here during the morning and get home schooled in the private room in the evening. You need to keep up your end of the bargain" I lightly scold him. "I know, I'm sorry but I've been studying since two, a few minutes break won't hurt, I'm getting straight A's in all my subjects" he whines. I can't resist his puppy dog eyes so I say "fine, five more minutes break but go get something to eat or drink ok" he nods in agreement.

"Ok you guys leave, I'll take on your suggestion Lor but I'm not making him do anything he doesn't want to do, that's not right" they both look like they want to argue but don't and they eventually leave. I pick up my phone and dial Mr B. He picks up on the second ring "hello protege, what can I do for you oh wise leader" he smart asses me as usual. "Hi smart ass, I need your help" I say. "It's concerning Theo" at the mention of that name he gets serious, I know he has a soft spot for the young man "what's wrong, you better not even consider firing him-" I cut across him "no nothing like that but I believe there is some bad blood between himself and John Reed, know anything about it?"

He curses "that's who it is, you see Theo has his own routine because I trust him to get the job done right so I never bother him but every day at the end of his shift for the last month or two he's shaken up. Rob and myself have tried to get it out of him but he just lies and says nothing is wrong. It started out small but it's been getting worse. I'll kill him, Theo is too sweet to be the problem so I'll bust that fuckers head-" Mr B begins to rant so I stop him. "Calm down I'm dealing with this directly so you need to trust me to sort it ok. I'll keep you informed. I've developed a soft spot for Theo myself-" " ha there's nothing soft about the spot you have for him young man" he teases me and I laugh "true but leave it with me please. Send Theo up to me when he reaches you in the morning, goodbye" I direct him and hang up on the man after he agrees and says goodbye.

I will get to the bottom of this and maybe, just maybe, I'll get to Theo's bottom  if I do.