Chapter twelve

Theo's PoV

Oh. My. Fucking. God. Please tell me she didn't really just say that, I'm going to die. Wait, ow, that pinch hurt so, no, I'm not dreaming. She just told him what I call him, I whispered to her that he's my boss and that's what she came up with, he's going to think I'm insane. Thankfully he just laughs and says "no beautiful, although I like that name" he gives me a heated look and I'm about to combust "my name is Rick Wallace but you can just call me Rick. This is my brother Lorcan, he's a bit cuckoo and this is my other brother Ben he's a little bit shy like you" Kate perks up at hearing this "you are?!" She asks Ben and he nods "yeah I only really like my brothers" now she's ecstatic "me too, see my brothers over there, they mind me all the time" she points to Rob, Noel and I as she considers them as such.

She latches her hand into Bens and I think they've just made friends for life. I don't know what kind of powers or charms the Wallace trio possess because this girl is not the same sister I know. Usually she cowers away from newcomers and that has been my biggest fear when it comes to dating, this has thrown a new light on my Friday night one time thing with Rick but I'm not going to overthink it right now. I'm just happy she's comfortable with them. "Ok, what do you want to go on Kate" Rick asks giving her all the power and I can see by the way he's looking at her it's for her sake not mine. He looks genuinely interested in spoiling her and it's not a ploy to impress me which I'm thankful for.

Now that he's told me a bit about his past I'm more than intrigued and I want to know more. It interests me that he has come from somewhere like I am now and he's managed to get to where he is now. It makes me more open to thinking about trying out a few dates with him but again it's a thought for another time. I don't even hear Kate's answer but I notice that five grown men are looking at her with pure adoration as if she's the sun itself, she's just that adorable. I laugh when we stop at the frozen bumper cars "you guys are too funny, Kate we are going on this but we are not just going on all of your rides for the day ok love" I tell her knowing only too well it would turn out that way if I let her be, especially since she seems to have the Wallace's wrapped around her finger like my best friends are already.

"I know silly Tt, but I just want to do this first please" she's too cute. I nod and ask her "who's car are you going in?" Fully expecting it to be mine as she picks me over Rob and Noel at all times. So I'm shocked once again when she says "Rick's, he's the biggest and strongest so we'll win, won't we Rick" what the actual fuck. Is this the twilight zone or something, I'm not jealous just surprised and to be honest kind of happy, if she accepts him it makes things easier for me. But of course doubts creep in and I remember what I proposed to him this morning and now, I worry he'll think I'm some sort of cheap slut.

My thoughts are broken when Rick whispers in my ear "it's ok I'll take care of her for you I promise" he must have read the dread on my face as concern. "Ok I trust you" I reply without thinking and the happiness that fills his expression at my words astounds me, he must really like me if four words make him that happy. He takes my hand in his a gives my cheek a quick kiss saying "thank you Theo" I'm too stunned to reply so he just runs to the others and gets into a car then effortlessly lifts Kate in and wraps her belt around her shoulders.

"That was so much fun, we bumped them so hard Rick it was great" Kate is gushing after they effectively bumped everyone at least twice. We spend the rest of the day running through the park going on rides all the while laughing and having more fun than I can remember ever having. I admit the day was great and having my bosses here made it better, the seven of us bonded well and new friendships were sealed throughout our time here. Everyone ordered hotdogs and milkshakes and we are sitting by the lake on the table/benches provided.

Throughout the day Rick didn't flirt anymore, we just had fun together and I'm glad about that, a few times I could see him holding back but he did and I knew it was so he wouldn't over power me, giving me exactly what I asked for. Admittedly I wouldn't have minded if he didn't hold back but because of Kate I'm glad he did. How am I supposed to tell him the one time deal is off the table, how am I going to trust myself not to fall for him, how can I trust that our relationship, if we have one, won't go badly and I end up broken and fired, how do I relate my fears to him without being a burden while keeping him interested?.

I feel Rick pull my elbow again but don't hear what he tells the others I just see them nod or answer in acceptance as I'm taken away from the table. We walk to a quiet spot and he turns me into his chest, I don't move and I'm grateful for the hug as it stops my negative thoughts. "I don't know what's going through that over active brain but relax, we are having a fun day today, it's nearly done and I know you have a lot on tomorrow but I need you to trust that I'll take care of you. He won't get to hurt you, just remember that ok. Now we need to discuss your proposal, I can't and won't do it" I instantly remove myself from his arms, I fucking knew it, I fucked it up, me and my stupid mouth.

Just as I begin to walk away he pulls me back "hey, it's a bad habit not letting someone finish what they were saying. Anyway I want you to think about giving us a go, I know you have stuff to deal with and I'm not expecting an answer right now but remember I've been where you are and I know now what's been stopping you. Because I know, I think you should realise that I'll do everything in my power not to hurt you or your family. Remember I need to still protect my own family and I don't trust easily so I'm taking a leap of faith too. I really like you and I think it's reciprocated so after the nastiness of tomorrow is over think about it. I'll wait" he kisses my forehead and goes back to the others. They say their goodbyes just as I get back to the table and they are offering a ride home but we refuse because Rob has a battered old car that we use and truly appreciate.

I'm quiet on the ride home with so many things running through my mind but I listen as Kate rambles on about how much she likes her new found friends and the fun she had today, I let her be because I know that it's back to our shitty lives from here on out and every ten year old deserves good memories. I just hope that a certain twenty one year old won't have bad memories from tomorrow's adventure.