Chapter Fourteen

Mal laid on her bed, sketching in her book, and Evie was sewing some sort of outfit for herself. I stormed in, slamming open the door. Evie jumped and both girls shot their heads up. I didn't even wait for them to ask what was wrong. I just began venting.

"I knew it! I knew he would do that!" I paced back and forced, running my hands through my red and black hair. I was beyond mad.

"You knew who would do what?" Evie asked, eyes set on me.

"Jon! He tried to ask me out!"

"That's amazing, H!"

"No, it's not! I don't want him! I want him to leave me alone for once!"

Mal smirked.

"We need to get him back for this. Do something horrible." The look on Mal's face consisted of pure joy.

"Alright, as much as I love that idea..." I sighed, hating this situation. "... I think I have to get along with him. We have to get that wand somehow, remember?"

Mal and Evie both gave me 'you're right' looks. I groaned loudly and flopped onto Evie's unoccupied bed. My red and black hair fell onto my face, but I didn't move it.

"This is even worse than what we had on the Isle," I sighed. Mal opened her mouth to speak, but the door swung open before she could. The young, shy girl in blue from earlier walked in and came over to Mal. I looked at her in a bit of shock. Her hair looked... different. It used to be short and straight, but now it went to her shoulders and was full of long curls. Mal looked up from her drawings and focused on the girl.

"Hey, Jane. What's up? You look upset."

"Mom's not going to use her magic wand to fix me."

"What? Are you kidding me? That's so mean." I could tell Mal was acting a bit.

"Mom said that if a boy can't see the beauty within he's not worth it," Jane sighed. "Can you believe it? What world does she live in?"

Mal snickered.

"Auradon."

Evie interrupted their coversation.

"Mal, do you like?" She asked, holding up a dress she had made.

"Yeah, it's cute."

"Brings out your eyes," I added.

"I know," Evie smiled, prompting a playful eye roll from me.

"I'll never get a boyfriend," Jan sighed, sitting down next to where I was laying. I sat up in fear that she didn't notice me.

"Boyfriends are overrated," Mal replied nonchalantly.

"And how would you know, Mal?" Evie cut in. "You've never had one."

"That's because I don't need one, E." Tension filled the air and I shifted uncomfortably. "They're a waste of time."

At that moment, Evie gasped.

"I forgot to do Chad's homework!" She jumped out of her chair and raced over to a beige colored backpack.

"And that is exactly what I mean."

Another bubbly, bouncy girl came in the door. She was wearing bright pastels that burned my eyes a bit, and she had short, straight, black hair.

"Hi guys. My name's Lonnie," she introduced. We all started at her blankly, not recognizing her. "My mom's Mulan?" We still didn't respond. "No? Okay. Anyways, I love what you've done with Jane's hair, and I know you hate us and, well, you're evil, but do you think you could do mine?"

We all looked up.

"Why would I do that for you?" Mal asked rudely. I didn't blame her, though. We didn't even know this girl. Lonnie pulled out a small, equally bright bag.

"I'll pay you fifty dollars."

Evie snatched the bag from her and stood.

"Excellent answer. I need to buy new material." She began accessing Lonnie's hair. "I'm thinking we lose the bangs, maybe some layers, and maybe some highlights." I self-consciously touched my own bangs when Evie made the bangs comment. They didn't look bad, right?

"Yeah, no. I want it cool. Like Mal's"

"Really? The split ends, too?" Mal looked up and shot Evie a glare. Evie jingled the bag and Mal groaned, rolling off the bed and grabbing her spell book. She opened it to the right page and looked at Lonnie.

"Okay...." she pointed to a spell. "Beware, forswear, replace the old with cool hair." Mal closed the spell book, then moved her finger left, right, and then down, dragging Lonnie's head along with it. She then moved her fingers in a beckoning way, and Lonnie's hair slowly grew. Now, it looked almost identical to Jane's, but it was light brown. Lonnie raced over to the mirror and began fingering with it, smiling. Evie came over and put her hands on one of Lonnie's arms.

"I know, I know. It looks like a mop on your head. You know what, let's cut it off, later it-"

"No, no, no, no, no, no. I love it."

"You do?"

"It's just..."

Lonnie reached down and took hold of one of the edges of her skirt, and with one move, ripped it a bit.

"...now I'm cool."

"Like ice," Mal chuckled.

Jane raced over to the mirror and did what Lonnie did, but rather than smiling, she gasped.

"What did I just do? Mom's gonna kill me!"

We all chuckled and Lonnie and Jane walked out, Lonnie thanking Mal. I flopped back down on the bed and watched the ceiling fan spin around in circles.