10

Jen

It has been two weeks with Rick's mother but there is no development at all in our relationship, we are still there from where we started, just strangers. It looks like she has completely closed off herself around me. The motive of this trip was failing miserably. Meanwhile, I am missing my family like crazy especially Scarlet, nevertheless how far she was, at least we were in touch. I am wondering how she has taken the information about my sudden plan and that to on email. Anyways, to impress Mrs. Adam I participated in all activities of the church, initially, it was for her but slowly I started enjoying it, it gave an immense joy for serving God.

A mere thought of Rick and our last encounter was enough to accelerate my heartbeats, I was sad he left me without saying goodbye. How could he go like this? This made me realized how painful it was for mom, I felt her pain after stepping in her shoes. It shattered you when you are being avoided by someone who is your whole world.

"Hey, Jen. Get ready, we will be going out today." Daniel announced casually. His arrogant ways to get to my nerves, yet we started bonding somehow. Daniel has always charmed me with his flirtatious and jovial nature, earlier he used to avoid me like a plague. Things started warming up between us after our heart-to-heart conversation near a lake. I remembered the day I was sitting near the lake forlornly and as usual, this guy graced me with his presence from nowhere.

"Why long face, sweetheart" his sudden voice made me jump at my place.

"On the name of sweet God, don't ever scare me like this." I breathlessly squealed at him. He flashed me his cute innocent smile with amusement.

"Then on the name of sweet God, don't stay this long away from home." He mockingly rolled his eyes on me.

"I like it here, it's peaceful." I turned my gaze towards the lake, mesmerizing the beauty of nature.

"C'mon, this whole town is nothing but a peaceful place. Then why you needed to be here, three miles away from home. If anything happens to you, Rick will platter my head on a plate to serve the wild animals." He is dramatically exaggerating.

"Nothing is going to happen with me, Mister..." I squinted my eyes on him.

"As if you know what destiny has planned for you." He talked to himself distantly when he realized I heard him, he raised his brow and smiled.

"Got scared, huh?" he asked. Like always he was not making any sense to me.

"Let's go home, Aunt will be waiting for you." He said.

"She doesn't even acknowledge my presence then how would she knows about my absence" I sadly muttered.

"This is not true Jen..she is different. She has corroded the iron shell around her heart after the death of her husband." The first time I heard something about Rick's dad, I didn't know anything about his father.

"What happened to him?" I asked curiously.

He straightens himself avoiding my eyes "it's getting dark, let's go."

"I asked you something?" I frowned at him.

"It's not my place to tell" he shortly replied.

He started walking without waiting for my response, and I stupidly followed him. "But Rick never shares anything about his father. In the span of a year, he hardly talked about his personal life. He is always been mysterious when it comes to his life" I freely opened up to Daniel about my feelings.

"Girls adore the handsome and mysterious guy, isn't it?" This made me smile, yes maybe he was right.

"I'm serious here." I eyed him angrily.