Chapter 10

He was doing quite well for someone who had never ridden a motorbike before, Diego thought a couple of minutes later after he had straddled the vehicle.

He admitted it. He got carried away. Normally he just brushed comments like Lara's off. But hearing the girl talk about his friend, or more like another guy like that...irritated Diego. Now that he thought about it, he realised that he was jealous. Damn, could things get any worse?

He took a deep breath and felt like he was going to fall. How did he get into this again? Oh yes, he had played right into Lara's game. Hmm...that girl knew which buttons to push. Instead of being angry, he was...happy. Happy to know that she knew him.

She also hated you. He had to change that. He could not take the idea of Lara hating him.

Diego shook his head. What was he thinking? He closed his eyes, organising his thoughts. When he opened them, his gaze automatically found Lara...and it dawned on him.

Damn...things could get worse.

---------------------

He fell from the bike.

Lara closed her eyes and tried to calm her beating heart. She still could see the scene where Diego went down, the bike falling with him. Opening her eyes, she shook her head, shaking her thoughts away. She could not think about it. Everytime she did, her heart quickened a pace. Lara didn't think she ever felt that kind of fear for anyone before.

You didn't feel the way you do for anyone before either.

Ever since that guy came into her life, he changed everything. Lara was an independent girl working at the motocross track who had no interest in boys. And then out of a sudden the guy came out of nowhere and started to occupy her thoughts like he owned the damned place? Who the hell did he think he was to occupy her thoughts like that?

The most frustrating thing about all of this was that she would start thinking about him without her even realizing it. Even when she had her crush on Leon, she had not thought about him as much as she had been thinking about Diego. It was not until her conversation with Leon today did she realise that she had... Damn, even in her head it was difficult for her to say it... That she had taken a liking for Diego.

To be honest, she could not believe she liked Diego. Leon was a little more her type... Yeah. Because Leon would not do something he knew he would not be able to do. Like Diego. If he could not ride a bike, then why the hell make a deal to ride
one?

Lara admitted that she had provoked him a little. But she had not planned any of it. She did not even know what was going on her mind at the time. Just that...Diego had been right about the jealousy thing. If he was jealous, that meant he atleast felt something for her, right? Not only that. When Diego had denied feeling such feelings, Lara had been disappointed. Like she had wanted him to be jealous. When she had realised that, she had been mad at Diego and then at herself. And then....

Lara stopped walking when she reached the tent Diego was in. The doctor present at the track had immediately attended to him and Diego was brought to one of the free tents. He was sitting on one of the clinical beds, looking the other way, to the other side entrance so he did not notice her standing in this entrance.

"How's the foot?" she
asked.

Diego did not even turn to look at her. "Oh you care now?" he said bitterly.

He was pissed? Wasn't it his fault in the first place?

"You are right. Why should I care?" Lara answered with the same bitterness in her voice and she immediately winced. She had said those words without thinking and this was not what she wanted to say. Diego and her started on the wrong foot and...it was her fault. All this time fighting the feelings she had for him.