Chapter Eight

"Lynette. Running from me won't do you any good."

I stared ahead of me, the passing of faces obscured by my determination to not look at who decided to walk next to me. I did not wants this. Not tomorrow, not now. I needed to be left alone. The whole point of going out was to get away. Away from home, away from this, away from everything.

"Lynette."

Letting out a steamed breath, I continued my way, my boots stomping against the ground before I paused in front of a street stop. I pressed the crossing button multiple times, trying to ignore the person who was going to cross with me. For a nerd, he was quite persistent. One, two, three, four times. 

"Why are you so bothered?" Ben asked.

I scowled and pressed it another four times. I needed to get the hell out of here. I was already getting a headache from listening to him on my phone. And now that he was out, nausea was boiling underneath the surface.

One, two, three, four.

"Is it because you do not like being followed? Being watched?"

I clutched my purse. I did not like those words in the same sentence.

No, I thought to myself. But it was a lie.

Yes.

Ben smirked behind me, a burst of energy invading my back. I could feel him pooling my senses with his pride. "Did your mother used to watch you?"

My brows knitted together, my gaze falling to the ground as I clutched my purse tighter, my heart beat thundering against my chest. I had to remind myself that he read my diary, that he was only guessing what happened. I had to remind myself that he did not know what the hell I had to endure. I had not written down what my mother did to me. He was not there.

"Your brother does it all the time, you know. Watching you when you think you're alone."

One, two, three, four.

Press, press, press, press.

Ben stopped talking for a minute, as if he was expecting me to react to that. I pressed the button four times again, unable to bring myself to think about what he said. I think I knew, somewhere in my mind, that my brother was always there. Like a babysitter. Even now, I suspect my brother probably paid someone to follow me.

"So why are you bothered about me going around with you?" Ben asked. I felt him cock his head. "Am I really that different?"

The red hand fell into a white walking man, the signal I had been waiting for.

"Lynette. Answer me."

I lifted a leg to take a step forward, but something grabbed my arm. The force of his aura was not as bad as it was initially, but even so, my body found the contact revolting, bitter. Gasping, I gagged and brought a hand to my mouth, the taste of bile piling up to my throat.

Ben pulled me back and wrapped his other arm around my waist, the one that grabbed me snaking up to my chin. I struggled against him, but I stopped once I noticed people looking at me funny. I bit my lip and kept myself straight, my body trembling from his vile touch.

"If you ask me, the more I advance on you, the more you seem to withstand my energy." I watched as countless pedestrians continued to walk ahead of me, unaware of what was going on. But he resumed his banter, his red eyes staring over my form with a dark glint in his eyes. "It often makes me wonder how long it would take you to find my touch pleasurable, or at least a little agreeable to your stomach."

I grunted and tried to wiggle my way out, his grip on me too much for me to overcome.

"But it seems to me that you want to get away. To leave this place completely and to pass on to the next world," Ben continued. His mouth inched closer to my ear and I shivered as his breath brushed against my neck. "But rest assured, I won't let that happen. As long as you are under my supervision, you won't be able to get away. Finding someone like you was never what I had anticipated in my journey of fun. And I'm not planning on letting you go. You see, I knew you would be entertaining the moment I laid my eyes upon you.  And now that I know you wish to die, I will make you feel different."

His hot breath suffocated me where I stood, his presence enough for me to question my own sanity for not moving.

"I will make you want to live.  All you will get is a brief taste of such a luxury, a tiny morsel of what it is like to want, to yearn for life. And once you think you have obtained it..."

His hand snaked up to my chest, where a rising sense of fear overtook me. I clenched my teeth as he placed  pointing finger over my heart.

"I will destroy you with my very hands..."

And then I blacked out.

----

Lynette woke up with a gasp, her eyes wide as a car honking dragged her from her stupor. She quickly turned -no, she stared ahead as a car swerved to a stop and crashed into a lamppost. The commotion had confused her, but Lynette figured that she had blacked out. Despite that, the way everything came so quickly made her heart jump against her chest, the sensation prickling the back of her neck with fear. But something else was bothering her. Sensing a deathly presence smothering her, Lynette adrenaline pumped through her veins before she looked up to find Ben staring down at her.

His hands are in front of him, a dark grin pushing up his eyes into small gleeful crescents.

Then the lamp above her shattered, and the people that had crossed the streets yelled and screamed for Lynette to get out of the way. Suddenly, excruciating pain flashed to her legs and arms, and Lynette screamed in agony. In attempts to protect herself, Lynette protected her neck and squeezed her eyes shut, her body trembling for fear that more pain would ensue.

Glass shattered at his feet as Ben smirked from where he stood, his gaze following Lynette's form as her limp, heavy body fell to the ground, the shards in her legs spilling blood all over the concrete street.

People ran from across the street to aid her, many already by her side and calling nine one one.

"Oh, my. What a mess, Lynette." Ben sighed and Lynette allowed her gaze to lift up from his feet to his face. She found the disgusting grin he always wore, and his shoulders up as if he was shrugging.

"Ma'am! A-are you alright?"

Lynette felt something brew within her again, the same as before. Except this time, the emotion was followed by a sting of regret. And judging by Ben's expression and action, Ben knew why.

Ben chuckled. "What's wrong, Lynette? It was only a little shove, " he purred.

Ben knew that Lynette could not stay mad at a ghost forever. He knew that. Life did not last forever, which meant him apologizing to her would not mean anything. Heck, Lynette could live her whole entire life staying mad at a person that cannot die, but in reality, none of that really mattered. Once Lynette dies, she would just forget all about it.

"But what a pity. If you had not covered your neck, you would already be dead."

With a shallow breath, Lynette ignored the people that began to surround her, asking if she was alright, if she needed assistance.

"Too bad. And just when I thought I should help you..."

Ben grinned and Lynette narrowed her eyes to a glare, her hands clenching into fists.

"You decide to live."