Chapter Twelve: Where Do We Begin?

"Here?"

"Lower."

"How about now?"

"A little more to the left."

Lynette had her hands above her, streamers pressed against the tree in her backyard as she held a bow in place. Around her neck was a wool scarf, something she always seems to wear when she goes outdoors because her hair was still not long enough to keep her warm. Her brother was a few feet away, staring with narrowed eyes and a comical hand at his jaw. They'd been going at this for hours, going back and forth on where certain decorations would be placed. If it weren't for how warm it felt outside, Lynette would've stayed indoors to stay away from the chill. Malcolm should've been thankful.

"So... Whose party am I not invited to again?" Lynette asked, her hands straining above her.

Malcolm blew a strand of hair away from his face before he shrugged. "It's a bachelor party."

"Oh, that makes sense. Is it for one of your girl friends?" The young woman grunted lowly and bit her lower lip, trying to brush aside some branches, trying to rearrange them.

"Uhhh... Not really. He's kind of a dude."

Lynette raised a brow. What type of guy would want pink bows and pretty streamers for their bachelor party? Didn't boys usually throw a bitch fit if they were exposed to something so 'girly'? Unless...

Lynette slightly turned to meet her brother's gaze, her tone cautious. "Oh... So is he uh.."

"Gay?" Malcolm finished for her with a small grin. "Yeah. But he's cool. I think you've met him before."

Lynette scoffed and turned back to the decorations. She could hardly remember what her life was like before her mother had taken full custody over her, so point of recalling anything would be pointless. But the fact that he believed she could remember... That wasn't something she wanted to ponder about. Did he honestly think she could?

"When? I don't remember any of your friends. At all, really," Lynette murmured, brushing a tree branch to the side. And in doing so, she found herself staring at a boot that was suspended in the air. Frowning, but at the same time listening to her brother, Lynette looked up the tree and found Ben sitting on one of the branches.

"Uhhh... I think you met him at one of my birthday parties. A few years before mo- I mean, our mother took you away."

Ben, although he was sitting rather lazily, decided to flash her tiny grin before he nodded over to Malcolm, assembling a few sexual hand gestures that Lynette wished he hadn't made. Just the thought of him and her brother doing the do was disgusting enough. Ben could just be gross sometimes. And often, the young woman felt as though he needed a special therapist for his disturbing interests.

The young woman frowned before shaking her head in revulsion. "Oh? Do you remember which one?"

"Umm... It was with the guy that lived in that big house. His name was Jake, or something," Malcolm answered.

Lynette batted at Ben's boot, whispering under her breath, "Move."

"What?"

The elf smirked as Lynette stood there, flinching from her brother's voice.

"O-Oh, nothing. I was just talking to a stupid branch that kept getting in the way," Lynette lied. She moved out of the way, knowing that her brother wouldn't be able to see the dark entity within the tree. "H-How does it look now?"