o n e

Opal was human. Only she was not opal anymore after that, she was Cactus.

"Opal, it's your birthday!" She had woken up to her mothers voice.

Her parents were boarding up the house, add in surveillance systems outside, for what? Maybe someone got robbed next door. No, Patty and Sam live next door on each side. They would've told her. Or maybe their mums ordered them not to say anything. Or maybe- no, Opal, it's your birthday! Her conscience kept telling her.

But last night...
~

"Carl, you know she wouldn't get taken."

"Martha!... She might get taken from us, we don't know yet. Some of the children don't."

"She won't. We got full security at the house. We'll invite lots of children so it's packed."

~
What did they mean taken? Was it some kind of place mum and dad didn't want her going to? It's fine though. She is safe from whatever her parents feared. Or so she thought.

~

It was late at night. The party was over and Opal was getting back In her bed.

Finally finished with one of the chapters in Harry Potter: the Chamber of Secrets , she laid flat on her pillow, flat from the weight of her head. Her sleep wasn't long.

Opal heard a crash. Not a car kind of crash, but a crash of pots and pans. And then she heard her mother scream.

She panicked. Hiding under her bed, she slipped on her bag. Maybe mother had a nightmare. All is okay, Opal Maria Velpose, All is okay.

Then her door, swung open, with feet the size of giants.

The arms, Opal didn't seem them wrap around her like vines. Latching on to the purple carpet, which felt like forever, the fleshy vines tugged, and pulled her out.

All she saw was light. And then a glass syringe. With blue liquid as a bonus. This is the end! The doctor found out that I haven't been visiting every 2 months!

The blue liquid hurt. Especially when its injected in your neck.

Cmon Opal! Don't fall asleep!

But she couldn't hear her conscience. Because she was already dead.

Asleep.

~sorry for such a short chapter. Don't forget to comment on my chapters and tell me what you think should happen.~