Chapter Four

Sam is finally better but he hasn't been himself. He's been quiet and clingy.
"Sam, I need to work. Stop. Get off." I pushed him off my lap but he pulled my sleeve with him. I huffed. "Sam."
He rolled his eyes and sat on the couch. I put the pen down and sat next to him. "what's wrong?" He leaned his head onto my shoulder and I wrapped an arm around him.
"Nothing." "Why are you so..."
"I'm just..sad."
"Why? Did something happen?"
"No..I just...i don't know why..."
I rubbed his shoulder. I don't really know why he's being like this. He does know, he just doesn't want to say it.

"Okay. I need to work and then I'll make dinner."
I got up but he tugged on my shirt. "I smacked his thigh, making him pull back and whine. "I've told you 3 times. Now stop." He slumped down. "I'm sorry." I kissed his forehead and went back to my office. It took about an hour to finish all the paperwork. He was asleep on the couch. I lifted him up and tapped his shoulder a little to wake him. He groaned and sat up.

"We need to talk. I know something's wrong. You're not acting yourself."

He started standing up but I pulled him  back down.

"I just...I cant.... Everything going on...Dad's in jail, I have to go to a new school, new place.." He covered his face in his hands. "My head.."

His head?

"Baby, I know it hurts, but it will get better."
"No. I lost mom. Then dad. It's just a matter of time before I lose you too." Tears streamed down his face. My heart dropped.
"No. Sammy listen to me. You aren't going to lose me. Not for a long time. Look at me."

He looked up at me and blinked a phew times to get the tears out of his eyes.
"Having you here...Is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I love you. You aren't going to loose me. Do you understand?" He nodded a little. "Verbal answer please?" "Yes..." His voice cracked. I hugged him and wiped his tears.

"Um...Dean...?" "Yes?" "Can..Can we visit Dad?"  I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why would you ask that? After everything he did to you?" "Nevermind."
"No. Answer my question!" I said, getting a little angry. "He has something of mine...Or had. I don't know where it is."
I calmed down. "What does he have?" "A letter. From mom." I felt my throat close up and my heart drop. "What?"

"She left a note before she died. To both of us."
"You never showed me!?" "You weren't around!" "You could have let me know!"

"I'm sorry..." I let out a frustrated groan. "Go get ready." He hesitated but got his jacket and shoes on. I got mine too and went to the car with him following behind.

I started the engine and drove towards the prison. "Dean..." "Yes?" "I'm sorry. Please don't hate me..." I looked at him, then back at the road. "I could never hate you. I forgive you. Let's just find the letter and leave. Then leave it in the past. Yeah?" "Okay."

I pulled into the drive and we both got out. We had to go through security first, then we went to a room with tables. They brought him in in handcuffs and he was wearing all orange.
He sat down across from us. "What do you want?" He said, giving us both a dirty look. I stayed silent. "What'd you do with the letter?" "This letter?" He said, holding it up, then ripping it in half. He laughed. "No! You bastard!" Sam jumped up and lunged at him but I pulled him back. "Sam." I warned softly. He glared at our dad. "Just give him the letter, it's not yours." I said.

"Oh, you think your big brother is gonna protect you? When I get out of here I'm going to find you. You're the reason I'm in this place. You don't deserve to live. That's why she left. That's why he left!"

"shut up!" I yelled at him and grabbed the letter. "You're sick." Sam was frozen. I lifted him up and we walked out. "Sam.." No answer. "Are you okay?"

The truth is, I don't think he is. "Yes." Was all he could answer with.

I took the letter once we got in the car and pieced it back together.

Dear Sam & Dean,

If you're reading this, I've probably already passed. And for that I am truly sorry. Please don't cry over me. Go on with your lives. Sam, you have a long way's ahead of you. And Dean, you will make the best police officer I know after college. I hope you both live a long and happy life. I also hope your father gives you the love and attention that I no longer can. I will always love you.

Sincerely,
Mom.

It looks like her handwriting. I ran my finger over the letters. The problem was, I haven't even made it into the police force yet. And dad doesn't love us. It just isn't fair.
Sam took the letter and folded it, holding it in his hands. Almost as if it comforts him.

I started the car and started driving home.

"You deserve to live. He isn't going to hurt you. Don't listen to anything he says. It isn't your fault."

He didn't answer.

(Guys, I am so sorry I haven't updated. I haven't had any time to. 2 weeks ago I started public school. I was homeschooled for 4 years. Anyways, I'm gonna try to start updating soon. I've just been so focused on my grades and my friends and everything. I'm really sorry.)