Chapter 5

Emma was baffled by the words that came out of Regina's mouth. Was she complementing her? If there was one thing the mayor never did, it was handing out compliments. Regina normally throws around a mouthful of sass and sarcasm, so this was so unusual to the blonde. She stood still for a moment, not quite sure how to react.
"Stop trying to change the subject and tell me what I did wrong," Emma barked, waiting for Regina's response.
"You can't just expect me to sit here, and allow you to be upset over something I don't even know I did."
Regina dropped the papers down on her desk and stood up, looking Emma dead in the eye.
"Let's get something straight dear," she snapped, leaning in closer to the sheriff. "I'm under no obligation to tell you anything. What goes on in my private life stays private. Now stop acting like a child and just forget about it."
Emma was at a loss for words. She took a step back, keeping her eyes locked onto Regina's.
"I'm the child?" she chuckled angrily. "Alright then."
The blonde began to gather her things, piling them up in a disorganized manner.
"I'll be at the station," she announced.
Regina watched Emma march around her as she made her way to the door.
"No wait," she cried. "I'm sorry."
Emma turned around, waiting for the mayor to continue.
"I just..."
"You just what?"
"I-I don't know how to open up very well," Regina confessed.
Understanding where the mayor was coming from, for she too was known for keeping her walls up, Emma walked towards Regina and gently lifted her chin.
"Hey, we both know I'm no different," she smiled. "But only because they don't know what it feels like to be rejected and misunderstood, not the way I do, not the way you do. And somehow that makes us...I don't know...unique, or maybe even special. So, whatever is it Regina, you can tell me."
The mayor stood in awe as Emma smiled affectionately. She was surprised at what the sherif had just said. For most of her life, she never really had anyone to talk or share her feelings with. Although being the evil queen had a lot to do with it, even today she didn't consider anyone as a friend, until now that is. It was refreshing. It felt as though a wave had just washed everything away. She truly wanted to tell her. She wanted to tell her everything.
"When you're ready to talk I'll be in my office," Emma called out as she walked out of Regina's office.
With mixed feelings and uncertainty taking over, Regina took a seat and supported her head with the palm of her hand. She kept repeating the same sentence in her mind, analyzing each word.
And somehow that makes us...I don't know...unique, or maybe even special.
What did Emma mean by this? Had she referred to them as an item? Did this mean anything? Us, she thought. It was a simple word...a simple word that had made all the difference. It was a word that changed her entire perspective. Or...did it? She didn't really understand what that word made her feel. Excited maybe? Confused? What did she even care? Did she expect for them to become an item now? Emma and I, she thought. Ha!
Regina pushed all thoughts of Emma to the back of her mind and attempted to continue her work. Fiddling with her pen, she stared blankly at the papers in front of her. There was no success. Emma was all she could think about and something needed to be done about it. That's it. I'm going to see Archie, she concluded.