Chapter 9 - Night Train to Miami

Month 17.

We arrived in Miami on a Saturday. The plane ride was pleasant. I enjoyed the conversations with my traveling companions. I had never flown on a Boeing 747. Phillip, Vickie, Ann and I comprised the Mississippi delegation. Once we arrived at the airport, Phillip went to Hertz Car Rental to pick up the keys to the van. We needed a van in order to carry all the luggage and equipment. After loading the van with our belongings, we all climbed into the vehicle and started toward the hotel. I was quiet. Staring out the window, I began to have doubts that maybe sleeping with Phillip might be a bad idea. Phillip and I had an excellent working relationship and we liked each other. What if things changed between him and me? Larry was in Mississippi, and there was hope for a romance and a future with him. Maybe if Phillip and I could just discuss the chemistry that was apparent between us, we might be able to come up with a solution to our dilemma besides sleeping together. I knew that if Phillip and I were going to sleep together, it was going to be in Miami. Phillip drove towards the hotel. He seemed to be in high spirits.

Miami was beautiful and everything I imagined it to be. Nightclubs, fine restaurants, and shops of all kinds and shapes paraded the interstate. In fact, we passed a strip tease bar.

As Phillip drove pass the bar, he commented, "Now that's an option, if all else fails tonight."

I am not sure if Phillip was aware of what he had said, because once he said it, Ann who was sitting in the front seat of the van next to Phillip, turned around and stared directly at me. Why was she looking at me? I continued to gaze out the window as we road along highway.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we checked in and got the keys to our rooms. Phillip needed to call his wife, and the other members of the group needed to freshen up before dinner. Phillip told everyone to be back at the van by 7:00 p.m. sharp.

The hotel that we were staying in was not as nice as the ones in DC. The hotel had the look and feel of an apartment complex: separate housing units were spread throughout the complex. As we all started toward our respective rooms, I noticed that Ann and Vickie's rooms were located in another building on the opposite side of the complex, away from mine and Phillip's. Phillip and I were housed in the same building. In fact, his room was directly around the corner from mine. How convenient, but not surprising. Every trip that I had ever taken with Phillip, my room was always located within close proximity to his and secluded from the rest of the group.

Since I had more luggage and equipment than anyone else in the group, Phillip assisted me in carrying my luggage and equipment to my room. I opened the door to my room and walked in. Phillip walked in behind me. I felt a bit awkward, and the butterflies in my stomach began to dance. I could not believe it. My boss, Phillip Sanders, was standing in my room. I told him to put the bags on the bed and that I would take care of them later. He did as I requested. After putting my things on the bed, Phillip seemed to be slightly hesitant about leaving. The door to my room was still open and anyone could see him standing there like some kind of bell-hop waiting for a tip.

I finally asked, "Do you want me to tip you?"

He smiled and replied, "No." Before leaving my room, Phillip turned and said, "Don't forget 7:00 p.m. sharp."

Everyone arrived on time except the main man. Phillip was late. He finally arrived after fifteen minutes.

I said, "What happened to 7:00 sharp?"

He laughed.

We climbed into the van and headed to a restaurant that was well known for its barbecue. Phillip and the others had eaten there before and were boasting about how delicious the food was. My mouth was already wringing wet and I was starving.