The papyrus

"She is different" commented Gaston as we watched Isabelle and Samantha walk in front of us, talking and laughing at different things.

We had just finished having breakfast and convinced Samantha into joining us for a walk to a nearby park. The park where I have detected Azazel visiting. If this strange girl has any relation with his plan, she might be drawn to something or react in a peculiar way.

"Who? Isabelle?" I asked him.

"Yes, sir" he replied "She is calmer, as if... as if she was able to feel again".

"I thought you would be better than that, Gaston" I said disappointed "That you wouldn't fall for those rumors. Demons have feelings, we were human once that leaves a mark. We have emotions, but they are asleep. The strongest demons are able to keep them awake and alive, like the three of us. They come handy from time to time, it makes it easier to read our enemy and find their weak spots. But for the majority of the time we just ignore them, after all they are a bloody pain in the ass" I explained to him "Why do you think that you are so loyal to me? If we didn't have emotions we would be able to feel pleasure, rage, hater, greed... and in yours and your sister's case loyalty".

"That makes sense" he said. By the way he was staring at his wife and Samantha, with a lost look, I knew he was thinking out loud without noticing "You are different as well, sir" he told me seriously "You care about her" I stiffened at his accusation and glared at him "You went after her and comforted her".

"I only did that to gain her trust" I growled lowly, making sure that Samantha wouldn't hear me "Humans are just a tool for a purpose. Their lives are just a flitting moment, I am forever" he shivered in fear, knowing quite well that he was in problems "Do not say something like that again! I am a demon, the King of Crossroads and future King of Hell, not to mention yours and your sister's master. So if you ever think about me feeling something for a pathetic human again, I'll make sure you wish to return to be in Alastair's hands" I warned him.

He was my right hand and my best demon, this was the only reason why I didn't torture him immediately like I would do with other demons.

"Yes, sir. Sorry, sir" he apologized frantically.

"Just don't repeat it" I warned him.

"I won't, sir" he assured me "Thank you, sir".

"See, that wasn't hard" I mocked him with an evil smirk.

"Crowley, Gaston what is wrong with you? Come on! Don't be so slow" Samantha's voice caught my attention. She and Isabelle were leaning against a big tree, far from the crowd of people but still in plain view, just a few feet from us "What were you talking about?" she asked us, more specifically me, when we reached them.

"Business" I lied smoothly "What about you? You seemed quite entertained with your conversation".

"Methods of torture during the witch hunt in Europe" Samantha's answer surprised me "What? I like history and law, what happened during the days of that era is so wicked and dark that is almost enchanting".

"She knows every method of torture that was invented, what instruments they used and how they inflected so much pain, and still have the support of the people" Isabelle announced proudly "She would make such a good demon" she whispered to us, making Gaston to smirk evilly.

Samantha was spacing out so she didn't notice the exchange of the married couple. She kept on staring at the tree, as if it had the answers to her problems.

"Is the tree really that interesting? Or are you going to tell me that you are into botanic as well?" I teased her. But when she didn't answer and kept on looking straight into the branches, I knew that something was wrong "Samantha. Samantha answer me" I demanded but she kept on ignoring me "Come one Samantha, don't be such a moose. Sam, Sammy, Moose, Samantha!" I continued trying to get her attention because I hate to be ignored, not because I was worried for her.

However, when she began climbing the tree I stopped talking. The three of us, Isabelle, Gaston and I, watched as Moose made her way to the top of the very high tree. I used my demonic vision to not lose her out of sight when she got hidden by all the leaves and branches. A few meters before she reached the top, Samantha stopped and sat of a branch facing the trunk. She took out her dagger and began craving into the wood.

"What is she doing?" asked Gaston out loud.

He always had the gift of saying what he thought out loud with no fear. A quality I had always appreciated on him, but right now I just wanted him to shut up. Cause they he asked the question, made Samantha sound as if she was crazy. And the last thing I need is to deal with a crazy strange girl, only to know the plan of Azazel.

Take a deep breath, Crowley. I told myself in my head. You are doing all this to get the crown you deserve, keep it cool and you'll be the King of Hell.

As if you could have ever 'keep it cool'. A voice inside my head spoke, from the darkest corners of my mind. Patience has never been a virtue of yours. Well, if you ever had any virtue, patience would have never been one of them.

Shut it! I yelled to the imaginary voice inside my head.

Damn it! Trying to take control all over hell, complotting against my boss and figuring out the plan of the actual King of Hell, is really stressing. I thought tiredly. I am starting to imagine voices talking to me.

I might be an imaginary voice invented by you, but as I am you I know what is truly happening through your head. The voice replied. The real problem is not dealing with 'a crazy strange girl'. The problem is that you are worried for that sweet girl that had showed you the first disinterest act of kindness you had received in your life.

Just shut up! I yelled at the voice again.

Luckily it shut up, just in time for me to hear Isabelle shouting "Samantha!".

As I gazed back to Moose I saw her falling form the tree. Using my transportation powers I caught her in time, before she touched the ground. I magically checked her up, and was surprised when I sensed demonic blood and power waking up inside of her.

"Let's get back to my hotel room" I ordered them and blinked us, without anyone noticing, there.

I carefully laid Moose on my bed and checked for any physical injury. I didn't know why I was doing that, my body just moved on its own and made me feel weird things. I only found a few scratches that would heal fast, but one on her face that would leave mark. That was not a good thing, her face is too beautiful to have a mark.

"Leave it to me" told me Isabelle, knowing what I was thinking "After all, out of the three I am the only one with healing magic" that was true and the reason why I wanted her to work for me, there are few demons with that ability.

"What is that?" questioned Gaston, to no one in particular "It seems like a papyrus" he advanced and took said thing from Samantha's grip.

It was a bit difficult at first, cause she didn't want to let go, but when I stepped in and tried to calm her down she released the papyrus from her grip.

"I can't read this" Gaston announced after only looking at it once. Isabelle and I, both, rolled out eyes at that. He has always been the muscles of the team "It is written in a really old language".

"It's a demonic language" I said when I finally got to read the papyrus "It is a dead language for us, like Latin for humans. None of us speak it anymore... well, no one but a selected group of intelligent demons".

"Let me guess, you are part of that selected group" drawled Isabelle, I always liked her spark "What does it say?".

"Bloody heaven!" I cursed under my breath as I read the papyrus "This is a prophecy from God" they looked at me shocked "Taught to us, demons, by Lucifer. He passed this information to the Knights of Hell, who wrote it down here".

"What is it about?" inquired excitedly Gaston.

"It is about the Apocalypse" I announced.