chapter five ☂

A/N: hiya. this is an early update bc this story has 4,000 reads which is phenomenal. i hope you like this chapter, it's pretty emotional. i'm a bit scared that it might start sorta fast or idk. this is dedicated to @nattlesacosta bc she's a frequent commenter and she always leaves these long, absolutely wonderful comments that make me smile uncontrollably. anyhow, i really hope you enjoy this chapter. i'm going to leave music at the side of every chapter that somehow relates to it. i've done so with the last chapters so you can check the songs out if you want :-) if you like this chapter, vote & comment!

*      *      *      *      *

CHAPTER FOUR

When Harry and Lily left the kitchen, only one of them truly left. Harry went back for another beer. Again and again and again until it was almost as if his only purpose in being at the hang out was to get up and get another beer. It was painful for Lily. In her head she could see the alcohol tumbling down his throat, half of it becoming a large black coat for his brain and the other half wrapping painfully around his heart like a straitjacket.

Now, at the end of the party, Harry was in the kitchen again. Everyone was leaving, not paying mind to his absence. They all seemed to ignore his constant visits to the kitchen—all except Lily.

“Bye, Lily! It was lovely seeing you!” Eleanor chirped, hugging Lily. Her brown hair seemed to bounce just as she did, extremely full of happiness. Lily discovered how amazing it was that something could make one person so unbelievably happy and another absolutely miserable.

“Great seeing you too, Eleanor. Bye now.” Lily gave her a smile as she pulled away from the hug, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear as she looked down at the floor.

That was when Louis came by and gave Lily a hug. “Good night, Maid of Honor!” He winked.

How happy he was made Lily want to scream. Did he not know the pain he was causing his best friend? The way he was making him feel so utterly defeated and heartbroken; similar emotions that his best friend made Lily feel, but Lily didn’t care about that. She wanted Harry to be happy and be with the one he loves; she would rather see Harry happy and with Louis than alone and sad.

“Good night, Lou,” she replied, pulling away from the hug he gave her. “I hope you’re really happy.”

‘Because he isn’t,’ she thought.

“I . . . ” he hesitated for a moment, looking at Lily carefully with a wavering smile, “am.”

She only nodded, watching as Louis joined hands with Eleanor and walked out of the door with one last glance back to everyone in the flat as a final farewell. Lily looked around for Liam and Zayn but it seemed that they’d already slipped out the door. They’d probably said goodbye to her without her noticing but she didn’t mind if they didn’t either way.

When the door finally closed Niall turned to her, his expression tinged with exasperation and sadness. “I’m guessing you’re going to help me with Harry.”

“Yes.”

On forth they went to the kitchen, where they were sure to find a drunken Harry. And that they did. Harry was drunk, among other things, sprawled out on the tiled kitchen floor that was cold, but not as cold as his eyes were at the moment. Two bottles were broken, their contents spread around the floor; similar to Harry.

Lily squeezed her eyes shut as she minced to where Harry laid on the floor, kneeling down next to him without a complaint for the beer on the floor that wet her knee. She ran her small hands through Harry’s hair as Niall said something about getting some towels.