chapter sixteen

a/n: here's chapter sixteen, finally! i don't know how updates will be from here but i planned so many chapters and i'll have you all know that there's maybe 20+ more chapters to this. i think i'm also going to write a spin-off because i have a really good idea for one. anyway, this is dedicated to @rheinayaxo for her kind comments! if you like this chapter, please vote & comment.

*      *      *      *      *

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

“Everybody, wake up!” Louis screamed, and everyone, whether they wanted to or not, woke up—all except for Harry, of course, who was so at peace under Lily’s touch that not even the screaming of the boy he loved could wake him. “Nice of you all to fall asleep and leave me alone. I’ll have you all know that I practically crashed from getting so tired while driving! Someone could’ve offered to drive and let me sleep for a little! I’m absolutely knackered!”

While this statement may have induced a guilty conscience to most, everyone in the car only felt annoyance towards the boy. He’d do this every single time whenever he drove them somewhere. He’d yell at everyone for not offering to drive but when they did, he’d insist that it was fine and he’d take care of it. The truth of it all was that Louis Tomlinson was just a little bastard who loved to mess with his friends—and they knew that and loved him for it.

The inhabitants of the black one year-old Jeep groggily stumbled out of the car, being yelled at by Louis with instructions to “move their arses!” Lily, however, was still in the car. She didn’t want to wake up Harry, who looked so peaceful in his sleep. Reluctantly, she removed her hands from Harry’s hair—she’d fallen asleep with them slotted in between the holes of his messy curls—and lightly shook his body.

“Harry, wake up. We’re here,” she said softly.

A muffled groan came out of his throat as he murmured a dragged out, “No.”

“Harry, come on, we have to go. Don’t you want to see your family?” Lily asked, knowing that’d make get him up.

As predicted, his eyes snapped open. “Yes—wait, Lily, where are you?”

Lily giggled, bending her head down in the air so that her face was directly above Harry’s. “Right here. Now get up before Niall convinces your family to adopt him and they disown you.”

Harry’s eyes widened. He rushed up, jumping over the seats and leaving the car. Lily could hear him yell as he neared the door of his house, “Gemma, Mum, don’t talk to Niall! I love you!”

Chuckling, Lily made her way over the soft grey car seats and exited the shiny vehicle, closing the car door behind her with a thud. When her eyes found the outside they also found Louis standing there still, waiting for her to leave.

“Hey,” he said, smiling at her.

Lily was confused as to why he waited, but replied a friendly, “Hey, Lou.”

He smiled at her again and Lily returned his smile. They began walking down the brown-red cobblestone path of the Styles’ driveway. The light pattering Louis’ navy TOMs and the comparably heavy clacking of Lily’s caramel ankle boots were the only sounds that filled the thick air around Louis and Lily. She didn’t know why, but she felt as if Louis was going to say something and she wanted him so very badly to simply say it.

“So,” he finally spoke as they neared the door of Harry’s home, “do you like Harry?”

Lily opened her mouth but words did not come out. She swallowed. “Of course, he’s my best friend.”