Chapter 5

"Marinette! Snap out of it!" Tikki whispered harshly.

Marinette blinked, snapping out of her daze. She glanced down at her red friend. "What?"

"You need to bring those ingredients to the pub, remember??"

Marinette's eyes widened and she slapped her forehead. "Shoot! That's right." She glanced at the pub which was overflowing with customers since the Prince had arrived.

She quickly bundled up her things and stormed into the pub with the items in hand. She dodged the customers and successfully made it to the kitchen.

Marinette ran into a flustered Alya.

"Girl! Where have you been?" Alya barked frantically, taking the food items from Marinette's hands. Alya then quickly jogged away, not even waiting for a response.

"Marinette!" a nervous voice exclaimed. She turned her head at Mylene who was having another baking difficulty.

"I gotcha," Marinette sighed, helping her friend. She pushed the dough into the oven with a sigh of relief.

However, the period of relief didn't last long. Alya rushed back into the kitchen, her face a red mess. "The Prince wants bread!" she exclaimed.

All heads in the kitchen snapped towards Mylene and Marinette.

"Oh, um... tell him it'll be out in a minute!" Marinette replied frantically, glancing at the oven.

Alya nodded and then quickly stormed out of the kitchen. Marinette kept her eyes on the oven and waited for the ding. It was hard to keep focus, though, with Alya rushing in and out of the kitchen, bringing more food to the Prince. "What more did he want?" Marinette thought.

Meanwhile, the Prince was sitting besides his father at the biggest and grandest table the pub had to offer. He sighed as the table slowly filled up with food. King Gabriel barked orders for more food with a twisted grin.

"Father..." Adrien mumbled. "I don't need all of this food."

King Gabriel clicked his tongue in disgust. "Oh, son. You have such a pure heart. But there's no need to show respect for these peasants. They serve you."

"But all I requested was bread," Adrien replied. "We shouldn't work them so hard like this."

"Son, you don't understand. Peasants are dirty and greedy people. How would you know how they are? This is the first time you've visited a peasant village after all."

"They don't all seem bad," Adrien mumbled, thinking of Marinette. Ah, Marinette. The girl with eyes as blue as the summer sky and a smile so genuine that--

"Adrien," King Gabriel snapped annoyingly.

Prince Adrien glanced up at his father quickly. "Yes?"

"Wave to your loyal fans," Gabriel mumbled, his eyes darting to the screaming girls surrounding them.

Adrien sighed. "Right." He faked a smile and waved to the peasant girls.

"Coming through!" Alya shouted, rushing an order of fresh bread to Prince Adrien's table.

She set the plate down and bowed to the Prince. "Enjoy." Alya then fled back into the kitchen where a nervous Marinette waited.