Chapter 16

Ladybug lifted up the trap door slowly and inspected the area. People were frantically running around the cramped perimeters of the room. Guards were yelling and raising their weapons to try and gain control.

Someone must've noticed Marinette in the crowd. Then they probably whispered about it to others and the guards must've overheard. She was no longer hidden.

Ladybug jumped out of the tiny space and appeared in the room with the villagers. Immediately, they stopped and looked at her in awe. Then, they cheered.

Guards turned their heads at the superhero and growled. "Kill her!" one guard ordered.

Ladybug sprung up into the air using her yoyo and ran along the walls. From that point, she wrapped her arm around a metal bar of the cell and glanced down at the guards. They were all coming for her in a packed group. She smirked. Too easy.

Ladybug threw her yoyo at them and it wrapped tightly around their bodies. They struggled against the restraint but the magical string was too powerful.

Ladybug grunted as she hoisted the guards over to an open jail cell and locked them inside. She retrieved her yoyo and wrapped it around her waist.

The guards ran up to the bars and shook them angrily. "You'll never live to see tomorrow! More guards will be on their way shortly!" a guard spat, his face red with anger.

"Don't bet on it," Ladybug winked. She then turned around and faced the villagers who were watching the event unfold in shock. "Get out of here!" she yelled.

The villagers quickly fled the room, shoving each other out of the way to get out. One villager stayed behind, though. Alya.

Ladybug smiled proudly. "Don't worry, I've got this handled.

Alya gulped and took a step forward. "Is my... friend okay?"

Ladybug's shoulder dropped ever so slightly. Her smile faded away.

"I'm sure," Ladybug nodded slowly.

"My friend, Marinette..." Alya continued.

Ladybug widened her eyes. That friend. She laughed nervously.

"Yeah, I saved all those people," Ladybug replied. "I'm sure she's fine."

"Don't lie to me," Alya continued, her eyes watering. "I saw her here. With the other villagers! I just want her to be okay."

Ladybug stepped towards Alya and placed her hand on her shoulder assuringly. "I saw her make it out," Ladybug said. "She's... safe."

Alya nodded, wiping a stray tear from her eye. "Okay. I trust you, Ladybug."

Ladybug smiled before Alya backed away.

"Go home," Ladybug said.

Alya nodded and smiled. "Okay. See ya." She quickly exited the room and Ladybug sighed with relief, her smile fading and her emotions filling with guilt.

The superhero then heard a sniffle from behind her and turned around. The guards were wiping tears from their eyes.

"That was a beautiful display," one guard weeped. "You are a hero."