Chapter 12

Marinette arrived back at the village with her basket in hand; and just in time, too. The party was going to start in two hours.

"Here are the goods!" Marinette smiled, handing them over to Alya. Around her, the pub was being decorated with streamers and candles.

"Took you long enough," Alya replied playfully. "Go and check on Mylene in the back. She might need some help."

"Okay," Marinette nodded. She skipped into the back room where Mylene was preparing various baked goods.

"How do they look?" the girl asked, presenting a few of the cakes to Marinette.

"They look great," Marinette replied with a smile.

"Is your friend Arnold coming?" Mylene then asked.

"Who? OH yeah! He's coming," Marinette replied nervously. "I just have to get ready and then come back."

"You better hurry up," Mylene said nervously. She already had on her best attire; a white gown with little to no dirt stains or holes. In this village, most people couldn't afford bread, let alone fancy gowns.

"Okay," Marinette said with a smile. "You look nice by the way."

"Thanks. Now go!" Mylene laughed.

Marinette nodded quickly and then left the pub. She raced into her house and slammed the door shut. After that, she sighed with relief and slid down the wall.

"Hey," a voice then said.

Marinette jumped in shock and looked up. Adrien was standing there with his arms folded. He was already dressed up, wearing an extravagant outfit-- an outfit a Prince would wear. She had almost forgotten that Adrien was a royal.

Marinette blushed slightly. "U-Uh, I don't mean to sound rude but, I don't think that outfit is a good choice."

Adrien glanced down at his attire and frowned. "Oh, that's right. Your friends would know who I am."

"I have something you could wear," Marinette suggested quietly.

She rummaged through her wardrobe and pulled out a pair of tan trousers, a tan vest, and a white shirt. She shyly handed them to Adrien.

"Sorry that it's so boring and plain. I know this doesn't fit a Prince's standards at all," Marinette mumbled.

Adrien grabbed her shoulder and squeezed it gently. "No need for an apology," he said softly. "Thank you."

Marinette nodded before exiting the house with her party attire in hand. "I-I'm just gonna go to my friend Alya's house to change," she stuttered, peeking her head out from behind the door.

Adrien nodded and smiled.

Marinette slowly closed the door and then walked over to Alya's house.

Inside, Marinette laid the light pink gown she made herself on a stool and started getting undressed. Once she was dressed, she admired herself in her friends old, dusty mirror.

"How do I look, Tikki?" Marinette asked, standing in different poses.

Tikki flew out of Marinette's pocket and nodded with contentment. "You look great!" she smiled.