Chapter 8

Marinette hurriedly ran errands in preparation for the big celebration that was being held that night. She collected berries and flowers, free from care or worry.

She was skipping joyfully down the path when she heard a soft groan coming from a clearing just a few feet ahead. She stopped abruptly and silenced herself, quickly hiding behind a tree.

Marinette peeked her head out from around the tree and looked into the clearing. To her surprise, Prince Adrien was sitting there, holding his head. Marinette gasped and ran up to him.

"Your Highness!" she exclaimed fretfully. The young Prince looked up at her in surprise and smiled.

Marinette knelt down besides him, but was careful to keep her distance. She knew it was frowned upon when a peasant touched royalty.

"What are you doing out here?" Marinette asked softly.

Adrien laughed and shook his head, rubbing a fresh wound on his arm. "Oh, just being an idiot I guess," he mumbled.

"I'll get the guards," Marinette said, standing up. But a strong hand held her back.

"No," Adrien said quickly. "Please don't."

Marinette raised an eyebrow, slightly surprised that Prince Adrien seemed so anxious. And by the fact that he actually touched her. "Why, Your Highness?"

"Because," Adrien said, sighing. He let go of Marinette's hand and placed his in the soft grass beside him. "I wanted to escape my duties. I was tired of feeling so manipulated and bossed around. I wanted a break."

Marinette gasped. "But, Your Highness-"

"Please, just call me Adrien," he replied quietly.

"Okay, Your-" Marinette caught herself. "Adrien."

Adrien winced in pain and then rubbed his wound which was growing worse by the second.

"I can take care of you," Marinette said. She then widened her eyes at her choice of words. "I-I mean, take care of your wound!"

Adrien laughed. "Thank you." Marinette tried helping him to his feet but Adrien insisted that he do it by himself.

Once Adrien was standing, he followed Marinette back to the village. She was unsure of how the other villagers would react to their new guest. Then a thought formed in Marinette's head. If they found out.

*

When the two arrived back at the village, everything seemed normal. Marinette glanced at Adrien frantically.

"You might want to... follow me quick," Marinette said quickly, hesitantly grabbing Adrien's hand. She led him to her cottage.

The two safely made it inside and Marinette sighed with relief.

Adrien looked shocked at the living conditions. "This is where you live?" he asked, glancing around the room.

"Yes," Marinette nodded embarrassingly, dropping her head. That's right. Adrien was used to royalty, not a trash dump.

"It's okay, I'm just surprised. I'd never imagine such a beautiful girl like you to live in conditions like this," Adrien replied quietly.