Chapter 12

It was a little past noon when Aaliyah sang softly to Melanie while rubbing her back and watching her eyes slowly close. Aaliyah smiled once Melanie had fallen asleep and got up, pecking her cheek gently.

Aaliyah quietly left the room, taking a glance down to Michael and Lisa's room. She was tempted to go in and do another search, but she decided to wait.

Lisa came through the door and winced as she walked slowly. Aaliyah was coming down the stairs when she noticed Lisa's back against the door and tears coming down her face.

"Lisa?" Aaliyah called out, almost sounding concern.

Lisa quickly wiped her face and cleared her throat, turning her head away from Aaliyah.

"Are you crying?" Aaliyah asked while posing on the stairs.

"Mind your business, Aaliyah. I'm fine!" Lisa said and rushed past Aaliyah up the stairs.

"Lisa," Aaliyah called out and gently took hold of her arm.

Both of them looked down at Aaliyah's fingers wrapped around Lisa's arm and they slowly pulled apart.

"What happened to you? Did someone hurt you?" Aaliyah asked as she noticed the bruises on Lisa's neck.

Lisa sighed angrily, "Why do you care so much, huh? Aren't you glad someone beat you to it?"

Aaliyah stared silently before she gasped. Lisa stared with confusion before she asked, "What?"

"That man you were with at the restaurant. Is he abusing you, Lisa?"

Tears started welling in Lisa's eyes again, "You don't know shit! Who do you think you are? Constantly accusing me of stepping out on my husband! Just leave me alone!"

As Lisa turned to walk away, Aaliyah said behind her, "I'm going to tell Michael."

"Oh no you aren't!" Lisa said as she turned back to Aaliyah.

"And why shouldn't I? Someone beats your ass and you don't want your own husband to know?" Her arms folded across her chest.

"I'm a grown woman! I can handle myself, Aaliyah! You know, my life was great until Michael found you. You've done nothing but cause problems in our home since you got here!"

"Oh girl!" Aaliyah laughed, "I'm definitely not the problem. You are! You are so insecure when it comes to your marriage. It's almost as if you know I could have your husband if I wanted him. Now, if you want me to keep your little bruises a secret, tell me right now what you did to me! What caused me to be ill? I know it was you!"

Lisa laughed loudly, "Michael sure does know how to pick em! You are a fool if you think I had anything to do with you becoming sick."

Just as Aaliyah went to respond, a key was inserted into the door. Lisa darted up the stairs as Michael was slowly opening the door.

"Lili!" he smiled as he went in for a hug. She hugged him gently and smiled nervously as she was ready to blurt out Lisa's business.

"How was the studio?"

"Great! New projects are lined up and I'm excited! Where's Melanie?"

"She's in bed, taking a nap. She's feeling better; just tired." Aaliyah said. "But Michael, there's something I wanna"-

"Honey!" Lisa interrupted as she came down the stairs and pulled Michael into an embrace. She kissed his lips, looking at Aaliyah as she did. Aaliyah rolled her eyes as they pulled away.

"How about some alone time before the kids get home from school?" Lisa suggested.

"Yeah! Let's do it," Michael said and turned to Aaliyah, "We can talk later as we prepare dinner. Is that okay LiLi?"

Aaliyah shrugged, "Sure. Fine."

Michael and Lisa walked upstairs and Aaliyah sighed as she turned to go to the kitchen. She noticed how funny Lisa was walking so she blurted, "Lisa are you okay? You're walking as if you're in pain.

Michael noticed as well, "Are you hurting, babe? Is everything okay with you?"

Lisa laughed nervously, "I-I'm fine. I just had a little accident today."

"What happened?" Michael asked.

"I fell."

Aaliyah stared at them from the bottom of the stairs, crossing her arms, "A fall gave you bruises around your neck?"

Michael looked oddly at Lisa as he began examining her neck.

Lisa covered her neck and laughed again, "Honey, I am fine. It was just an accident."

Aaliyah smirked as she continued looking at Michael who was starting to look suspicious.

"I'm gonna go get some snacks prepared for the kids when they get home. I hope you feel better, Lisa."

Aaliyah walked off and laughed quietly to herself once she was alone. She finally felt a little even with Lisa, but this definitely wasn't the end.