Chapter Five

A shrill beeping cuts the air—the wake up call of Eveia's alarm. When did I fall asleep?

I'm still alive, so clearly I didn't make a fatal mistake by dozing off last night. Eveia looks around blearily, then slams the palm of her hand onto the top of her alarm clock.

She sits up and looks me up and down.

"You fell asleep first." Her tone is almost defensive.

I yawn as she stands and dresses for training. "Guess I realized there was nothing here to be afraid of."

I mean to sound more taunting, but second guess myself at the last second. The resulting tone is teasing, not aggressive.

Eveia raises an eyebrow at me, but doesn't speak. She bends by the door and picks up a piece of paper that must have been slipped through the crack while we slept. After examining it while I dress, she folds it up and slides it into her left training boot.

Still not speaking, she waits until I'm ready before leading the way into the hall. I'm wary of this tenuous peace between us, and I don't break the silence for fear of ruining it.

Once in the dining hall, after I've loaded my tray with yogurt, oatmeal, and an apple – forgoing the typical loaded eggs and bacon - I find an empty table and sit. I'm surprised when Eveia joins me; I'd figured our unspoken truce would evaporate once around other people.

She catches me watching her warily and shrugs at me before returning to her food. I look away and notice Wick just leaving the line, his tray heaped with food – a stack of bacon, leaning precariously like the Tower of Pisa,  threatens to lop off the side of his plate.

"Hey, Wick!" I wave, and he comes over to us.

"Hey, ladies. Mind if I join you?" He takes the seat next to Eveia without waiting for permission.

She points her spoon at him. "I didn't say you could sit there."

He grins at her, but she doesn't change her position. The smile drips off his face and he pushes his tray across the table, to the seat beside me. When he stands, though, Eveia sighs dramatically.

"Okay, fine. You can stay."

Wick pulls his tray back and jerks his thumb at Eveia, but looks at me. "Real peach, your roommate."

"How do you know I'm her roommate?" she protests. "We could just be friends."

"We're not friends," I say, but I'm smiling.

Eveia glares at me. "Well, we could be."

I can't tell if she's being serious, but I can't deny my excitement at the prospect of another friend.

"Whoa, now." Wick throws a hand out. "Nadia said she's not here to make a bunch of friends, and I already called dibs, so get in line, sister."

Eveia looks at him briefly, then some realization dawns on her face and she rolls her eyes. "Forget it, then."

She stands and picks up her tray.

"Oh, come on, Eveia," I say. "He's just joking."

"No, it's fine. I'll leave you two alone." She turns to go, muttering under her breath. I only catch the word "doll".

"What?" Wick says. "I can't be seen eating alone with her." His eyes are huge in mock horror. "I don't want people to think I'm a Ken!"

This brings Eveia up short. A smile is struggling to break free on her lips as she looks at Wick, as if seeing him for the first time. She drops her tray to the table and sits again.