Chapter Thirteen

Ritter reprimands me Sunday morning, but I'm certain Zarko won't show his face near me again, and I highly doubt anyone else could set me off like he does. Beyond assuring me that I should not take for granted this idea that Ritter won't kick me out of training, the meeting is harmless. I promise Ritter nothing like that will happen again, and he seems mollified.

This last week before our first Performance Review, we're separated from our roommates. Ritter tells us at breakfast on Monday this is to prevent us from becoming too dependent on any one person.

"We are a united group of individuals," he says. "Your decisions are your own. Leaders are in place for guidance, but your peers are merely that: peers. They do not know enough to direct your path, so don't let them."

"Hear that?" Wick whispers across the table. "Nadia, quit letting Eveia direct your path." He gestures to our identical plates of food, then the matching braids down our backs. I stick my tongue out at him. Eveia gives him the finger.

"When it comes time to choose your team within the Kuzabn," Ritter continues, "do not simply follow your friends. Your team determines your future. Choose wisely."

He dismisses us.

"Like I would want to have to watch your back forever?" Eveia says to me and then clears her tray. "And I'm choosing the furthest floor from Wick when I can."

"Oh, you love me." He wraps his arm around her neck and pulls her head too forcefully to his chest. She smacks him until he releases her.

"You should be so lucky," she says, but her face is tinged red. We let her pretend it's just from the sudden lack of oxygen. "I get free time now; where you suckers off to?"

I read the schedule. "Guess I'm going swimming."

"Hey, me too." Kaz peers over my shoulder.

"Have fun!" Eveia says a little too smugly.

Wick takes the paper. "Man, Shark first thing?"

"Shark's not so bad." Kaz claps him on the back. "Bright side, no Anders!"

Eveia leaves us at the lounge, and we're quiet as we make our way to the pool deck. I'm both excited and nervous to be in the same group as Kaz all day. I wish I could figure out these feelings that make my stomach wriggle and twist whenever he's involved.

"You think you know what floor you'll pick when it's our turn?" he asks.

I shrug. "I haven't really thought about it. Probably Hejae's."

"Really?" He raises his eyebrows.

"His whole deal is kind of intriguing. Plus the shared Viry thing...I don't know."

Kaz laughs a little. I can't tell if it's an actual happy sound. "Yeah, I guess I forgot about the 'Viry thing'."

He keeps his eyes down, and his voice is muted, sarcastic almost. I don't know what offended him; I can't help who I was born as.

At the same time, I hate feeling like I've somehow disappointed him. "Maybe I'd choose Briar. I really like knives."

Kaz nods. "You're pretty good with them. Maybe too good." He nudges my arm with his elbow.

This is the first time he's acknowledged my scars since I showed them to him. I'm not sure his tone is entirely teasing.

"Another reason it might be best to steer clear, stick with Hejae."

"Because lies and manipulation are so much better." He holds open the pool door for me.

"Least I won't be the one getting the scars."