Chapter Six

I make sure to keep several people between us in Briar's class. His gym is at the top of the compound.

There's a small staircase at the far wall leading up to what looks like an archery range. Strange weapons are hung all over the walls. A door across the room is marked "Healing." There's another door beside it marked "Pool Access."

Several small balls hang from strings around the room. Not more punching exercises?

Briar is the exact opposite of Shark. Where Shark is stocky, broad, and rippling with muscles, Briar is tall and slim, with lean muscle. He wears a slight grin while he waits for us; if I didn't know any better, I'd say he looks like the friendliest of the trainers. But I do know better—or at least I know I punched him, so his friendliness most likely will not extend to me.

Without much introduction, Briar instructs us in our training drill for the day: hand-eye coordination.

At first I feel sick again. Something else I'm sure I'll be terrible at. I can already feel my face flaming at the thought of being called out in front of everyone for the third time today. As if I'm not anxious enough, worrying that Briar might still be upset I hit him.

I take my place and stare at my ball, about the size of my fist. We're supposed to bat it back and forth, palms open. I take a deep breath and begin.

It only takes a minute to see I'm better at this than most. And that is not too much to brag about, as I miss the ball practically every other time.

Yoren is beside me; he gets frustrated and smacks at the ball in front of him way too hard. It swings back and pops him in his cheekbone before he can react. I can't stop the giggle that is more nervous energy than anything.

He looks over at me, rubbing his cheek. I cough and focus on my ball, afraid I've offended him and made another enemy. He reaches over and smacks my ball away. I have to throw up my arm to protect myself from receiving the same injury he did. I laugh again. It's still mostly from stress, but I also wasn't expecting that reaction. He laughs, too, then reaches to his other side and knocks that girl's ball away, too.

Soon the three of us are giggling and batting at the three balls whizzing around us, dodging one another while trying to hit each other with the balls.

"Looks like some of us are having too much fun with this." Briar stands in front of us.

My eyes go wide. One of the balls zooms towards Briar; he catches it easily with one hand. He surveys us, his expression neutral. It's almost worse than if he'd glared; at least then I'd know what he was thinking. His eyes rest on me for a little longer than they did on the other two. Is he remembering the Selection? For a moment, I'm sure I'm done for.

Then he grins. "Very creative. Should have expected as much from Hejae's floor."

He lets the ball go and it swings back to the boy beside me.

"Carry on. By yourselves, please."

I sigh with relief; maybe Briar really is as nice as he looks. I take up the original practice routine, now rather mundane.

                                                                                               *

The class did help to lighten my mood, and I realize I overreacted to Eveia's comments. I catch up to her on the stairs and apologize.

"Oh, so now that it's on your terms, you want to be friends?" She doesn't slow her descent.