Chapter Nineteen

Eveia definitely said something to Kaz. I feel it immediately when I sit down at our table with my food. And to make matters worse, Caither slides in beside me.

How am I supposed to fix things with Kaz when I promised to find out if he likes Caither? How do I even do that? I frown at my salad, stabbing a cucumber with a little too much hostility. Viry Matching is a million times easier.

Eveia's foot rubs against my leg. She's grinning at Wick beside me, as if waiting for something. I realize she thinks my leg is his. So I clear my throat and shift my foot.

"I don't care how much you stroke my leg; I am not happy with you." I keep my face a neutral as possible, but a smile threatens to break when Eveia's eyes go huge.

This is the first time I have ever seen Eveia blush. I can't help laughing. I decide I'm not going to be mad that she told Kaz what I said, and I feel better. She was Kaz's friend first. And I already miss her too much to hold a grudge.

Wick is choking next to me, he's laughing so hard. I slap his back, but that doesn't seem to help. He reaches for a drink of water, then looks at Eveia and bursts out laughing again, spraying water all over her and Kaz.

That gets Kaz and Caither laughing too. Even Eveia manages to see the humor in the situation eventually. While we're all laughing, I try to catch Kaz's eye, to say I'm sorry and that Eveia misinterpreted my words, and that I really enjoy the time we've been spending together, all in a smile. I doubt all the meanings are conveyed, but he gives me a small, reluctant grin back.

We don't really settle down; Wick erupts in chuckles every few minutes, making me giggle and Eveia blush again. Which causes Kaz to laugh.

Caither is not a member of our group. She laughs to fit in, but clearly doesn't understand the hilarity of the situation. I'm not about to explain. Kaz does, though.

I told Eveia he was sweet. Doesn't like anyone feeling too uncomfortable. I wish he wasn't such a nice guy as he leans across the table, avoiding the puddles of water.

"Eveia and Wick have secretly been in love, pretty much since day one."

Eveia punches Kaz, her face darkening. "We're not in love."

But Wick wears a big, goofy grin as he looks at Eveia. "Maybe a little," he murmurs. He might not realize he's said it out loud; I think I'm the only one who heard him, anyway.

Caither is giving Kaz a disgustingly sweet smile. "Thank you." She mouths the words as if they are in their own little world, with their own secret understandings.

I've lost my appetite.

"So, what do you want to do for the rest of the day?" Caither says. She's already inserted herself into the group. "I mean, we can leave these two alone to discuss their feelings...." She points between Eveia and Wick.

Eveia stands up with her tray. "I hate all of you." She stalks to the trashcan and dumps her half-eaten lunch.

I follow her, snagging two apples on the way out. She's already made it to the lounge when I catch up with her. I toss her one of the apples, and she catches it easily then draws her knees up to her chest on our usual couch.

"I didn't want anyone to know. Even if you guys did. I liked the secrecy, even if it was just pretend." Eveia glares at the apple as she twists it between her fingers.

I sit beside her. "I'm sorry I made it so obvious."

"Ah, I don't care so much about you guys." She bites the apple. "What's Caither's deal, though? She kind of disappeared after that first week, and now out of nowhere we're BFFs?"