Chapter Eighteen

I feel a lot better when I wake up. My head still throbs, and I can feel my pulse in my swollen cheek, but my mood isn't so cranky. My right arm is swollen to the point I can't fully extend it. I'll have to try to get more ice on it at breakfast.

"Morning, Sunshine," Wick says when I sit at the table with a bowl of oatmeal and a napkin full of ice. "Weren't you just a ray of delight last night."

Eveia looks up from her own bowl of cereal. "Have you been waiting all morning to say that?"

Wick grins. "I have."

She shakes her head. "Donkey."

I apologize for my behavior last night, but they wave it away.

"It was a rough day for all of us," Kaz says.

For a few minutes, the only sound at our table is chewing.

"Weird, to think this could be our last day here." Wick breaks the silence.

"Shut up, Wick," Eveia says with more aggression than strictly necessary. "None of us is going anywhere."

Wick's right, though. Last night I felt pretty confident, but in the morning light, my bruises look darker and my chances a little bleaker.

We make our way to the auditorium early, trying to sit near the front. Part of me hoped they'd have the rankings written on the board, so we could get the nervous waiting over with. The other part is relieved they are not, in case I'm ranked embarrassingly low.

Suddenly, I'm sure I am. Probably at the very bottom. Sure I did well with the knives, but the other events? I got lucky, and even then, my performances weren't stellar. There won't be anything to save me; rules are rules, if I'm in the bottom twenty-five, I have to leave.

I have to die.

Finally, after what feels like forever and no time at all, Ritter walks to the center of the stage. The wall behind him lights up with four rows, and a floor leader designated to each row. It appears they've done away with F5; Ceek's name is not on the list and the rows are dotted only with numbers R1-R40.

"Welcome, Recruits, to the first Ranking." Ritter's voice echoes, and the room quiets. "You've all performed admirably over the past two weeks. Your skills in the demonstrations yesterday proved this. However, twenty-five of you will not proceed in your Kuzabn training."

He shuffles the papers in his hand and continues. "We have received your requests for specialized training, and placed you according to your rank and the leader's availability. When I call your name, I will say your rank and new floor leader. Please note these, then exit the auditorium, proceed to your current room to gather your belongings, then meet your new floor leader in the Training Room listed beside their names on the board behind me to receive room assignments and instructions."

I glance at the column of names. They're listed by floor level, Shark to Briar, and the training rooms correspond to the floor number, like they had on the first day.

Ritter begins listing names. He drones on, pausing only long enough between each name for the individual to stand. There is no ceremony for Grud, the boy who ranked first, no cheering or appreciation for any successful recruits.

"Kaz Bancroft. Ranked Seventh. Shark."

Kaz grins, clearly proud of himself, as he stands. "See ya, kids."

"Seventh, are you serious?" Eveia hisses at his back as he moves up the aisle to the back door. "No wonder he's been so calm."

Name after name is called, and I become sicker. My stomach feels like it is creeping into my throat. The only consolation is Eveia and Wick are still on either side of me.