Chapter Twenty-Nine

A little before the end of the period, I run down to store the knife in my room before going down to Shark's gym for my Force session with Kaz and Wick's group. I put on my heeled boots, just in case Hejae comes by to monitor the lesson, as he hinted he might. I'm not going for a run in these, but if we're grappling, I may try to fight in them.

"Looks like Nadia's trying to be all pretty for us." Shark calls me out immediately, but his teasing his good-natured. He doesn't seem upset that I wasn't cut, which is a relief. If anything, he seems happy to see me.

Hejae is in the gym as well, arms crossed as he leans against the far wall.

I set my hands on my hips and turn one foot sideways, trying to look as sassy as possible. "I'm going to get so good at fighting in these. I'll be able to beat even you."

Shark laughs his loud bark of a laugh, and looks at Hejae. "I've always liked the fire in this one."

"Don't we all?" Hejae yawns, as if bored by the whole idea of fighting.

"Okay, so we're going to be practicing our fighting moves today, just for Nadia." Shark laughs again. "So let's pair you up." He goes down the line of recruits, pointing between people to signify pairs.

"Okay, Kaz, let's see how you fair with the heels."

"Don't worry, Shark, I'll show you how it's done." Kaz grins at me.

I can't help thinking of our kiss a few nights ago and the fact that very soon our bodies may very well touch again. Never mind that this is a more aggressive situation. Passion is passion, and I'm definitely feeling it.

We square off, and I'm very vulnerable. The combination of the heels and my size versus his, added to the way my heart is already pumping way too hard, almost makes me dizzy with tension.

I try a punch; Kaz reads me well and grabs my arm. He holds tight even when I try to pull back, keeping me so close I start to sweat. I can't break eye contact as he tugs me even closer, grinning wickedly as he does. I don't remember how to breathe.

Someone grunts as his body hits the mat and I remember we're in Shark's gym. I punch him in the stomach, recovering my arm. He doubles over, but laughs.

He lunges, grabbing me around the middle. Somehow his other arm slips under my back, steadying my head as we both fall to the mat. Kaz's hands slide up and close over my wrists, pinning them to the ground above my head.

"Surrender?" He's breathing heavily, his face inches from mine.

"Never." My chest feels like it might explode out of my shirt, my heart is pounding so hard, my lungs filling so quickly.

I shift my right leg, the top of my knee tracing along the back inside of Kaz's left thigh. I pause just before reaching his groin area.

"I could win this you know." I put the smallest amount of pressure with my knee, hinting at the damage that could be done. Somehow, the high heel weighing down my foot makes the whole situation feel far sexier than it should.

Much more than I'm comfortable with.

Kaz smiles at me, his eyes dropping to my lips. Is he going to kiss me? I want so badly for him to kiss me. His tongue pokes out, wetting his lips.

"I yield." He sits up, carefully avoiding my knee.

I remain on the mat, one hand over my heart, trying to regulate my breathing.