24 - Death of a Clown

If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Luke's POV

I stood waiting for the lights to come on, Ashton and Dria were next to CiCi and I. Ashton stood beside me, his hand lingering around my waist. "Good luck, love." Ashton kissed my temple. 

"As to you, darling." I chuckled, Ashton did too. I had a feeling that I enjoyed the more old fashioned pet names rather than that of the ones that screamed of desperate physical love. 

"I love New York City." Ashton spoke through the silence, his voice was nothing above a whisper. "It has been a really long time since I've seen it, and it has only gotten more magnificent in that time."

I nodded my head in agreement, I heard Ashton and Dria's name called so Ashton parted from me and I stood, watching their performance until CiCi and I had were waiting for our name. When it was called, we ran out in the sand and smiled, bowing our heads down as we climbed up the ladder.

It was in the middle of our routine, we were spinning and flipping around when we heard it playing. 

Stars and Stripes Forever was playing in the background. CiCi instantly was no longer paying attention to what was going on around us, but rather what had happened. She missed her bar and when she noticed she let out a scream, I grabbed her however. Holding on to her tight as the audience gasped. I was holding onto her wrist and the bar with one hand. 

"L-Luke!" CiCi was wide eyed and already sobbing hysterically. 

"You need to climb up me." I said to her, trying my best to remain calm. "You need to climb up." 

"I-I can't!" CiCi shook her head. 

"CiCi just do it!" I yelled at her. "You can do it!" CiCi reached out for my legs and began to scale up my body, I put both hands on the bar as she did so. When she was on my back I began to swing again until we reached the platform. 

She was crying and shaking hysterically. I helped her climb down the ladder but as we reached the bottom everything was in a panic. "Get out of here, CiCi."

"B-But we're the last to leave." CiCi mumbled. 

"You're panicked state is not going to help us." I said firmly. "Go." CiCi ran out of the big top and I immediately focused on getting everyone out of the room.

I ushered a family out of the room and out as best as possible. It was a stressful job, especially when everyone's initiative was to panic. Eventually, they were taking care of, and racing back to the big top I was confronted by three cheetahs.

They snarled and hissed at me. "Easy now." I said to them, my voice firm. "It's me, Luke, remember?" 

They circled around me, and I thought for sure I was going to die. My blood was heated and my heart was racing. I had no idea what to do though. I was going to be killed right here and mauled in front of them. But I would rather have them be focused on me so I stood up straight and held out my arms. My eyes closed.

Then the hissing stopped. I opened my eyes and the were sniffing my feet. "Hey Lindsey, Lacy, Laurel." I bent down and they sniffed my face, licking it on occasion. 

"Let's get you out of here, come with me." I guided them at a slow pace towards their cages. They climbed in without a problem and I ruffled the top of each of their heads before shutting and locking the cage behind them. 

"See you later." I smiled wide at them.

I took off through the dirt and could see several dead bodies already, and I stopped when I could see Ali fighting back with Kayla. Kayla was in a blind panic and she could kill several people if she freaked out. Ali was yelling at her, and I watched as Kayla picked Ali up with her trunk.

"Oh no.." I went wide eyed, I could see the trunk tighten around Ali as she let out a shrill scream.

"Kayla stop it!" I yelled at the elephant. She tossed Ali onto the ground as she screamed and cried out in pain. A couple of roustabouts picked her up and carried her away to get help. 

"Kayla you need to stop right now!" I snarled. She stomped her front feet down. "I know you are upset but you can't act like this!" She swung her trunk, trying to hit me and I was barely missed by it. "How rude." I rolled my eyes and grabbed onto the end of Kayla's trunk, pulling on it she panicked but calmed. 

"There you go." I said quietly. "Men, lead her off." I said and went back to the big top. There was no one in sight but I went farther to see if someone was hiding. 

When everyone was gone, I went to leave the tent myself when I froze. 

Silver, the now large panther was sitting right in front of me. Staring me down. 

"Easy..Silver." I said, putting my hands up. "Why do you hate me so much." 

She snarled at me and I found myself taking steps back. She jumped forward and I jumped back. I could feel my heart racing inside of my chest, I had encountered many almost-death situations today. But I felt as if time had finally ran out for me. I could feel the tears rising my eyes when I thought about. I always thought I would be ready to die when the time came, but I was never at all ready. 

I wiped my eyes and tripped backwards. Silver coming towards me, I was defenseless. 

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

LOL CLIFFHANGER SCREW YOU GUYS XD Jk i love you<3 

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX