4 - Wanderer

The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living. ~Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ashton's POV

Like a lost sheep I managed to wander my way over back to the animal tent, which I still couldn't remember the name for. I was just hoping to find something to do, I spent at least an hour in Luke's train car, but got bored within the first ten minutes. I swore if I stayed any longer I would be going through his belongings

And that would have been bad.

"Ashton!" Michael yelled to me and I turned to face him. "I need your help."

"Well that's kind of what I'm here for." I shrugged.

"Right," Michael smiled. "Anyways I need you to go and get the big top and pick something up for the animals. It seems that Kayla, the elephant, has had her decorations left in the big top. So just go pick them up. Would you? I have to have her ready and cleaned for the show tomorrow."

"Alright." I nodded and walked out of the tent. I continued down the path to the biggest tent on the lot. I was thinking it was going to be empty but instead I was knocked onto my side the second I walked into the tent. I grunted and looked up to see CiCi already climbing off of me.

"Ashton get up." I felt someone grab me and lift me up off the floor to see Calum.

"What's going on?" I asked as I turned to the chaos. "I just came to get Kayla's decorations."

"Let me just say..Tricks don't always go according to plans." Calum said and I went wide eyed.

"W-Who got hurt?" I asked as I looked around.

Calum took in a deep breath. "Martin. He's a sword swallower."

"What? Oh my - " I was cut off by being pushed, and then looked to Calum.

"Oh my gosh!" I heard Luke scream as he stared down at whatever was in the middle of the group. I rushed over as Luke collapsed on his knees in a fit of tears and heavy breathing. He was full on sobbing, and I could see why.

Laying in the sand was a body with it's innards spilling out. A sword lodged between it. I actually felt myself gagging at the sight as Calum put a hand on my back and rubbed gently. I glanced down at Luke who was completely laying with his head down.

"Is he..Okay?" I asked. Calum shook his head.

"Martin and Luke were really good friends, you could say. He was the one who sneaked Luke in here in the first place. If it wasn't for Martin, Luke wouldn't have gotten this job." Calum said. "Poor boy."

"Luke please come on!" CiCi grunted as she pulled on Luke, trying to get him away from the body.

"No! No leave me alone!" Luke screamed, thrashing, he pushed his sister on the ground and ran to the body so his arms were wrapped tightly around it, covering him in blood. There were several comments of "gross" and many along those lines. But I didn't think it was so much disgusting as it was just sad.

So I walked over and ripped Luke off of the body, pulling him away as he thrashed in my arms. Slightly smearing me in the blood also.

"Luke calm down." I said as I squeezed his body tighter to the point where it probably hurt him slightly.

"Careful there." Calum warned me and I nodded.

"No! No!" Luke sobbed and eventually he stopped the kicking and just went limp in my arms.

"Come on.." I said quietly and carried him through the lot. Several people gasped as we walked by, they probably thought the blood was Luke's, but I managed to get to his car and push him inside.

I got a bucket of water and a cloth, immediately having Luke remove the bloody clothes. Which didn't leave him in anything but he couldn't sit in that putrid leotard. I managed to keep my eyes up. Dabbing his arms away from blood as he continued to sob, I eventually cleaned his neck and face before going over and finding him a pair of sweatpants.

"H-He's dead.." Luke whimpered as I handed him the clothes, managing to keep my eyes up still. Luke managed to get his pants on after several minutes and I slid his shirt on for him before turning and washing myself off, glancing down I realized I didn't have anything except the clothes I was wearing.

Luke sniffled a few times before looking up and seeing me. He pointed to the closet, as if he understood.

So I changed into Luke's clothes and then it was in the blink of an eye, Luke fell onto the floor and vomited. I almost wanted to vomit myself but I managed to keep the bile down.

"I-I'm sorry.." Luke mumbled. "I made a mess.."

"It's okay, I can go find someone - " And just in time a older woman walked in and saw Luke and the room. She let out a gasp and ran for the blonde.

"Oh Lukey, darling. What seems to be the matter?" She asked softly.

"M-Martin is d-dead.." Luke whimpered as he cried onto her chest.

"I heard that something happened, I thought first thing to check on you." She looked towards me. "You are?"

"Ashton, I help with the animals." I said and she nodded.

"I'm Genevieve." She smiled. "Put Luke in bed, would you? I can clean this up."

"Yes ma'am." I smiled and lifted Luke up off of the floor and laid him down on his bed. As I went to walk away Luke let out a shrill whimpering noise. I turned back to see him reaching out for me. Lip still trembling.

I was about to walk towards Luke but I shook my head. "I have to go finish working."

"No stay.." Luke mumbled.

"I can't Luke, I really can not." I said quietly. "I'll be back soon, alright?" Luke gave a weak nod before curling into his pillow and continuing to cry. I felt awful leaving him there, although I didn't have much of a choice.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION

It seems like we aren't too far along in this book, but yeah disaster numero uno :3 Will there be more? I have no clue, circus accidents are kinda rare.

Anyways I will probably have another chapter for this up today, I intend to do quiet a bit. And Thursday and Friday will still be on schedule, but on Saturday I don't have anything to write for? Like I could just write for anything or I could start something completely new but I have a lot of really short ones. I.e. This one, Geek Squad, Pill by Pill, and Forced isn't too long either. They're all relatively short. But anyways. I hope you have an amazing day, or you had one at least. In the meantime..

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX