Mercy Fortuna #3

*Mercy's POV*

At four AM, when I woke up my hand was slightly swollen, and looked like one giant bruise. It throbbed horribly, but I knew that that was no excuse to not do my morning ritual. Make breakfast, don't eat anything, clean dishes, and then clean the house.

Once I finished all of those things I got dressed in light grey skinny jeans, with rips in the knees and a blood red shirt that I designed myself saying "Mess with me and I'll rearrange your face" after once seeing it in another store. It was by far my favorite shirt.

I brushed my black hair, and put on some eyeliner and lip-gloss that I had actually had to steal seeing as how my father would never buy something for me. I threw on some converse and was out the door by six, just like yesterday.

After several minutes walking, I made it to the high school. My legs were burning, and my breathing was slightly faster than normal. I sat down at the same bench as before, and waited for my new friends to walk up. I wasn't disappointed, seeing as how twenty minutes later they were in sight. Joey jogged a little ways ahead, arriving before the other three.

"Hey, Mercy, how ya doing?” He asked, breathing raggedly.

I smiled slightly, then quickly wiped it off my face because it hurt my cheek. "I'm fine, how about you Joey."

"I'm always good," he grinned, throwing his arm around my shoulders. I flinched at first, and then slowly relaxed. "Well, I have basketball practice, see ya kid," he walked away, towards the gymnasium just as Yugi, Tristan, and Téa walked up to me.

"Hey guys, how's it going?" I questioned, with a painful smile on my face. Just as I finished the question a limousine, undoubtedly holding Seto Kaiba inside, pulled up to the school. He got out and looked directly at me, nodding his head in acknowledgement, whilst I did the same, then he continued to the door.

"What happened to your hand Mercy," I heard from Tea. Kaiba turned his head around, narrowing his gaze towards my swollen hand.

"I'm really clumsy, and I slammed it in a door." Kaiba obviously didn't buy the excuse, and by the looks of doubt coming from the others, they didn't either but let it drop anyways.

Yugi and Téa began talking, and soon Tristan joined in, joking around with them. I stayed quiet, hoping they would forget me, Yugi would keep glancing at me from the corner of his eye, then move towards my hand. Before anyone could comment on it again, I went inside the building and to my locker. After grabbing my biology textbook, I went into my classroom. Ignoring Kaiba, and Damon I went to my original seat from the day before.

Not two minutes later, my brother was standing in front of me. I quickly hid my hand underneath the desk, and stared up into his eyes.

"How bad?" He questioned, his eyes holding nothing but concern.  Concern I didn't need from someone who abandoned me.

"I have no idea what you’re talking about", I lied through my teeth.

"Please, Mercy, show me. I'm sorry about yesterday.” He looked so sincere and he was pleading so sadly, that it nearly hurt. Slowly I lifted my hand, exposing it for him and all the world to see. "Oh my god, Mercy." I turned away from his pity filled eyes and put my hands on top of the table. I didn't want or need his sympathy, he abandoned me, it's his fault.

"Damon," a girly high-pitched voice said from the doorway. Damon hurried over to the cheerleader, kissing her full on the lips. She left him standing there, as she strode towards me.

"I wanted to say," she looked at me as she continued my way, "That I'm sor-", she 'tripped' and in order to catch herself, she slammed her hand which was holding her textbook, onto my desk, and hands. It was obvious that she was faking the trip, stupid cheerleader.

My already swollen and sore hand, burst with a new wave of pain. I clenched my teeth together, trying to keep from screaming in agony. A traitorous whimper escaped my lips as my eyes filled with pain-induced tears, and one silent drop escaped through the corner of my right eye.

"Aww, the new girl can cry. I was sure she was an emotionless zombie," the girl sneered. I wiped furiously at my eyes, and put the familiar mask on, hiding the hurt and pain from everyone's gaze. I sat myself up straighter, and tightened my hands into fists, trying desperately not to slap the smile right off her face.

"Quit being childish, your attempt at revenge is pitiful." Kaiba was looking directly at the cheerleader in front of me, she shrank away from his hate filled eyes, and even though they weren't directed at me, I did the same.

"TIffany, come on, we'll go chill in the hall until it's time for class to start," Damon muttered. That asshole! He didn't even try to stand up for his own sister. It hurt more than I'd ever admit. 'Tiffany' walked over to him and put her hand in his and I watched silently as he dragged her out of the classroom.

"Thank you," I rasped, my throat raw from unshed tears. All Kaiba did was nod, and I turned to look out the window.