Seto Kaiba / Mercy Fortuna #8.5 (The End)

Seto Kaiba's POV:

I was jerked out of my sound sleep as I felt Mercy being ripped out of my arms. Snapping my eyes open, I looked up just as Mr. Fortuna flung his daughter away from him, down onto the stained carpeting. I felt my blood start to boil in my veins as I looked at her helpless form.

As calmly as possible, with my perfected mask of indifference, I stood up to face the man I'd quickly learned to hate. I walked around him, ignoring his presence as if he were nothing more than a mere ghost, and stooped down to lift Mercy off the floor before walking towards the door.

"Where in the hell do you think you're taking my daughter?"

I ignored him, throwing the front door open and not bothering to shut it behind me. I was astounded to find my limo and the driver, still sitting in Mercy's driveway as if I'd only been in her house but a few minutes. Judging by the setting sun, however, it'd been three hours at least.

"To the police station," I ordered, helping Mercy get settled into the car as her father yelled and screamed at me to return her. My eyes stayed on the girl who sat beside me, her eyes red and puffy as she silently cried, but I couldn't help but to think about how beautiful this girl was.

Despite the bruises, despite the dirt and grime, despite the tears, and the emaciated body, Mercy was gorgeous. Both inside and out; stubborn as hell, but obviously caring, loving and supportive of anyone she considered her friend.

It was with a dawning realization that I found her absolutely stunning from the inside out, that I found her amazing and at peace when I was with her. It was right then, that I realized it was completely possible I'd fallen in love with this teenage girl.

I turned my attention quickly away from her as the thought popped into my head. I've barely known her a few months, and I fell in love with her. How had I let this happen? How could I be so foolish as to of let a girl who I barely knew, take grasp of my heart with her bare hands.

We pulled into the police station not much longer and with a resolute, determined face, I watched her face her future.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Mercy Fortuna's POV

It had been a long while since I had talked to the police and filed charges against my father, and just as long since I'd tried for emancipation. For the last few weeks, I'd been healing, going to school every day and doing well. Slowly, but surely, learning to forgive my brother for all he'd done to me, or not done for me, as the case was. I'd been staying with the Moto's since Seto had brought me into the police station.

Seto.. How odd it was for me to call him that. I was getting used to the name, but still, once in a while, I'd still slip out a 'Kaiba' when I talked to him. Which was often. I talked to him more than any other person I knew. I spent my hours in school with him, my after school hours were spent with him and Mokuba, or going on 'dates' as Seto called them.

I'd never imagined myself dating before. Movies, fancy dinners, he once attempted to take me ice skating even, before realizing that neither of us could ice skate, and we wound up with more bruises than it was worth. The thought of Seto, falling flat on his a$s had me grinning, it was pretty hysterical. He was always so cool, calm and collected that it was so hard to think of him embarrassing himself. But he had brushed it off with casual confidence, as if it wasn't terribly embarrassing. I had seen the light spray of red creeping up his neck however, so I knew better than that.

Mokuba was ecstatic whenever I visited, always having an array of games to play, and he was working on teaching me how to duel; something that I failed miserably at. Seto had attempted to do the same, but his patience ran out pretty quickly. It was coming along nicely, however, and I appreciated all of Mokuba's help with learning.

I fell in love with the Kaiba family. More and more, I realized how badly I wanted to be a part of it, until finally, I knew just how badly I needed to be a part of it. Sometimes, I catch myself staring at Seto, and thinking to myself 'that man is amazing', and he could be doing any old thing. Working in his office, playing a video game with me, dueling Mokuba, and to me, he's still amazing. He makes my heart beat out of control, and I feel like giant bats are in my stomach, fighting to be free.

An odd feeling, but not terrible surely, I would experience that bat-in-gut feeling any day if it meant being able to be next to the Kaiba's. I wanted to tell him, I wanted to tell Seto that I'd fallen in love with his family, that I'd fallen in love with him. But how could I? He was so sure of himself, so mature, so wealthy and just... I didn't feel as if I deserved him. Did he feel the same way? Did he love me, or did he know he could do better, did he wish I would leave, think me annoying, or enjoy my company just as I enjoyed his?

After hours of debating, I had decided that once I got my emancipation papers, I would tell Seto just how I felt.

Well, today I got my papers, and I imagined what I would say to him, how I would explain all of my thoughts and feelings to him. What if he didn't return the feelings I showed for him? I'd be too embarrassed to ever show my face around him again. But I couldn't just ignore what I felt, I'd have to tell him and if he didn't accept it, then I'd try to get over my embarrassment and hope that it didn't change our relationship too much.

I could do this. I was Mercy Fortuna, after all.

*_*_*_*_*

It had been three days since I'd gotten my papers. Now legally emancipated, I had been asked to officially move in with Seto. Today had been the last day of school, and on the way of Seto and I taking his limousine back to Grandpa Moto's house, he asked.

"Do you want to move in with Mokuba and I?"

It sounded so formal, so rehearsed, but that didn't stop me from grinning and throwing myself at him. "I love you!" I didn't realize what I had actually said until I pulled out of the hug and saw Seto staring at me as if I'd grown a second head. "Sorry," I whispered, after a moment of him not saying anything, and I awkwardly sat myself down on the vehicles leather upholstery.

"I love you too, Kid."

I smiled softly, looking out the window as I heard those words.

"Good. Because it would have been really awkward if you didn't."

============

PLEASE READ THIS.

I'm sorry if this chapter, the LAST chapter, wasn't up to your expectations, you can read my About Me and probably understand why... Mercy was actually based on my best friend (PrincessWhore on wattpad), though his twin never abandoned him, his mother actually committed suicide, etc.. but i mean, Mercy's personality and fatherly abuse was based on Benji (princesswhore).. and the whole end line "Good, because it would have been really awkward if you didn't" is something Benji always says, and I wanted him to play a big part in this story, just as he has in my life.

I'm sorry this chapter isn't the best, and i'm sorry you're being forced to read this horribly long authors note, but thank you for sticking through with the story.

If you want to read the sequel (which is a Mokuba story) then check out Total Bliss on my page! I just started posting it on december 9, 2015!!

Peace and Love,

iJay