Mercy Fortuna #4

*Mercy's POV*

"Um...excuse me. Are you Mercy Fortuna?” A timid girl with short blonde hair asked from behind me.

"Yes."

"I was sent by Ms. Harrington, from the front office, your dad's here to get you."

I could feel, literally, as the blood drained from my face. My friends gazes were all on me as I gathered up my things as slowly as I possibly could, trying to put off going home with Father.

"Bye, I suppose I'll see you tomorrow.” I faked a small smile, and rushed to the office. My father unceremoniously dragged me out the doors, and towards his truck. I met Kaiba's stare, begging him to not mention this, and half hoping he would save me like he did from my brother, but my hopes were dashed as I was thrown into the truck without him doing anything. He just stood there, looking caught up in his own little world.

Of course, I was used to being ignored by others.

"You didn't make me lunch, woman." Oh...I'm so dead. If I don't die, then I know damn well I'll wish I had. My father was hitting me while he was still driving down the road, but when we pulled up into the driveway he stopped. As soon as I came into the house behind him, it began again. I clutched my head as his steel-toed boot kicked my temple. My father pulled me up by my hair, only to have me fall back down after punching me in the mouth.

It filled with blood, because I had bit my tongue, and my lip was busted and already beginning to swell. I felt a crushing weight on my ribs, one quick burst of pain, followed by another. Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore and let out a small whimper. It felt like eternity, as he beat me relentlessly. I can't understand why he did this. I never understood how someone could do this to their own children, wife, anyone really. 

It had never been so bad before, the beating was a thousand times worse that it usually was.  This time, there was no being careful that others wouldn't see signs of my abuse, it was simply a full-out attack on my body.

I heard a ringing in the distance, that I barely recognized as the doorbell.

My father opened up a hallway closet, and pulled me by my hair until I was completely in, before he slammed the door shut, leaving me surrounded in unrepenting darkness.

I tried desperately to ignore the pain radiating through my chest. How I wished I could die. Please, dear god, make it stop, I prayed in my mind.

I faintly heard talking, but it sounded as though the people were miles away. The talking went on for a few minutes, and my pain seemed to just increase. The floor started vibrating, shaking. I didn't understand what was going on. An earthquake maybe, if so please kill my father. Or me. One of us.

My vision became reddish, and I realized that blood had fallen into it, then slowly my vision began dimming. After that, it was silent, and dark.

There was no pain.