Rule #6

Brahms' P. O. V.

I woke up with my head throbbing. Where am I? The fireplace? How did I get here? I must have tripped on something while I was running from my room. As soon as I got up to my feet, my head felt dizzy. I think I hit my head hard on the floor. Before I could even take a step, I heard a honk, of a car?

I panicked. Who would it be? Is it Greta? Did she come back? I need to get to the door and see her then! But what if it's not her? What if it's the police again? Did Greta report to the police about me? I must hide!

As fast as I could, I ran to the ladder, up to my room.

I pressed my left ear to the floor so I could hear what's going on underneath it.

Someone knocked three times, and said, "Hello? Anyone here?"

A voice from a man?

"C'mon Arnold! There's no one in there. I think we should head back to the inn." A female voice said.

There was silence after, then whispers.

A childish voice shouted, "It's raining! Livy is still in the car!"

Drops of water started to hit my window.

There was silence again.

Was that footsteps?, I asked myself

I heard the old front door shut. I couldn't understand what they're saying. Are they in the fireplace? So I moved to where I could hear them properly.

"This house is huge." I heard the voice of a child said.

"Don't go anywhere, Adam! We don't know who owns this house, and we are considered as trespassers right now so stay close." A woman said in a strict tone.

"No, Adam! Wait!" A man shouted.

I heard running footsteps right after. Then someone's talking in whispers.

"I'm fine, Mom. I can handle myself, really. You're forgetting that you still have another child. A well-functioning son that you can never ever be ashamed of." I heard another female, but much younger, voice said.

"Olivia, you know that it's not true. Your Dad and I have never been ashamed of you, we love you as much as we love Adam."

Silence.

"Hey, did you think about what Ms. Henry said? The collage application thing?"

I heard a chuckle. "Why would I? I mean, who would actually let a schizophrenic girl, like me, to study in their university?"

"How do you know that they won't let a girl, so smart like you, in their university? Never lose hope, Olivia. Dad and I will never give up on you."

Then the footsteps came back.

"I think the rain won't stop in an hour or so." A man said.

"Adam, don't run away like that again. We need to stay close as much as possible." A woman said.

"There's the kitchen, over there. I think that's where I got in to." A child said.

"We don't have to steal their food, Adam. I've packed some sandwiches for us in our house earlier. Stay here, Dad and I will get those in the car. Okay?" The woman replied to the child.

After I heard the front door shut, I quickly peep at the small hole on my floor to see who got left.

There's a girl and a boy, I thought to myself.

Then I remembered the ladder. They might see my secret ladders and get to my room! I should cover that broken glass that once covered it. But when should I do it? No, I mean, how am I supposed to fix it? Perhaps, later tonight? While all of them are fast asleep. With that heavy rain pouring, they won't be able to get out of the mansion quickly.