Rule #7

When I heard the clock strikes nine, I took a look at the hole on my floor to see if they are all fast asleep. Fortunately, they all are.

As the rain poured heavily outside, I started to go down and finish what I have to do. They won't hear a thing since the sky is angrily thundering.

What material should I cover it with?, I thought while examining the entrance to my secret ladder.

Do we still have some plywoods? What if the plywood is too big for the size of this hole? How am I supposed to know the measure of it anyway? Boys don't do these stuff, it's men's work. I shouldn't worry about these things! The family seemed to know their limitations in this house, but what if they try to kill me? What if they burn this mansion down too? Will history repeat itself? I don't want to see my house burn to the ground again! Because this time, there will be no Mother to save me again from the catching fire.

I felt like crying, but a boy like me should not cry all the time. I rubbed both of my eyes to stop the tears from coming out.

I should just keep this room locked, so no one would try to go to my room and kill me. I must keep an eye on the family, they may look like good and typical but I have to be careful and-

"W-Who are y-you? Do you l-live here?" A feminine voice, behind me, said.

I stayed very still and kept my mouth shut.

"Hey! I-I said, do y-you live here?"

What should I do? How did she even get in here! I thought they were all fast asleep in the fireplace. What am I supposed to do right now? I'm scared!

"Can you just answer me? Tell me s-something, so I would know this is all real. I know that I'm not hallucinating right now." The girl said. But I stayed standing very still, with my back in front of her.

Hallucinating? What does that mean? Should I even show myself to her already? I don't know what to do.

"A-answer me, p-please!" The girl demanded.

I realized that I'm not wearing my mask right now.

Then I heard her sobbing. "This is all real. I'm not hallucinating! Maybe if I call them then you'll start talking. For the first time in my life, they will finally think I'm not insane!"

I heard her catching her breaths in between her small laugh.

"I-I need you to stay here. I swear if you move a m-muscle, you wouldn't like the things I'd do to y-you! I'm gonna call Mom and Dad." I heard her footsteps run away from the room.

I slowly faced my back, she's gone to call the others. I must hide quick! But what about her threat? What if she sees me again and gets the chance to do, God know's what, to me. I don't want to die! Not yet.

Before she could even go back, I quickly shut the door and locked it. I ran up to my room using my ladder, and pressed my ear to the floor. 

"Mom! Dad! Wake up! I saw someone in one of the rooms upstairs!" The girl cried.

She continued, "I think he doesn't live here. He's a b-burglar!"

I heard someone replied, "What are you talking about, honey?"

"Upstairs Mom! I-I saw someone upstairs! C'mon!"

Then I heard footsteps again. It stopped in front of the room that I locked. Someone's trying to turn the doorknob.

"Livy, it's locked." A man's voice said.

"N-no it's not! I saw someone inside!" It was followed by hard knocking on the door.

While banging the door with her palm, she said, "Open the door! I-I told you to stay still!"

"Honey, let's go back. Did you take those two tablets I gave you earlier?" A woman said, in a calm tone.

There was no reply.

"Honey, I thought we've been through this medication stuff already. Dr. Curtis said that it's important that you don't miss any of those prescribed drugs. It will help you-"

The girl didn't let the woman finish, "Help me with what? Even if I take those drugs, they won't cure me! I'd still be your crazy and rotting child!" Her voice so close to crying.

Then I heard footsteps, running away.

"Olivia! Wait!" A man said.

As I watched the rain on my window, I wondered about the girl. She seemed so tough, yet so lonely on the inside. I just hope that she would not kill me the next time she ever catches me again. I'm just a boy.