Chapter 1 -The Truth

"Katherine the witch!" Her peers taunted her.

"Hair as black as coal, heart as empty as her head!" They mocked.

"Leave me alone!" She whispered.

"What was that? Are you conjuring a spell?"

"I said leave me alone!" She yelled, pushing past everyone, running to the rooftop.

She knew she'd get punished but she didn't care.

Living at Miss Agatha's orphanage meant she was tormented every second of her life. She didn't care. She knew she wasn't like them anyway.

Ever since she had received a letter from an unknown man by the name of Dumbledore, she had been even more confused.

Dear Katherine Malone,

While you're reading this, you might be a little confused. You might also be a bit angry. I don't blame you. I told Fudge that this was a bad idea but he never listens. Alas, that is a different story.

All you need to know is that you aren't normal. You're special. But you're not the only special person. There's a whole community of us. Soon I will come and collect you from the orphanage and take you to our community.

You will be safe there, happy and hopefully you'll make some friends. I can't explain it here but soon, you shall know the full story.

Kind regards,

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.

A strange letter, a strange message and a strange name.

Katherine treasured the letter. It was the only letter she had ever received and she read it over and over until she had memorised it.

You'll make some friends.

This Dumbledore guy had added a hopefully but hope was good enough for her.

***

A week before September, Dumbledore arrived at the orphanage.

Katherine was on the roof, as usual, reading.

Then, Miss Agatha's head popped up over the ladder.

"Katherine, there's someone here to see you."

Katherine looked up, eagerly running to the meeting area.

The meeting area was the only room in the orphanage kept immaculately clean. None of the children were allowed in there, not even Sara, miss Agatha's favourite.

The only time people went in there was when they were about to be adopted.

When Katherine entered the room, she saw an abnormally tall man standing by the window. He was wearing a long cloak, and a large pointy hat.

"Katherine. What a pleasure."

Katherine eyed him warily. The way he said her name made her feel like she was hiding something.

"Katherine! Say hello," Miss Agatha scolded.

"Its okay. Katherine, I've already filled out the paperwork, so if you don't mind we can leave now."

"But my bags..."

"Are already packed and waiting in my car." Dumbledore interrupted.

Miss Agatha ushered them out the and slammed the door shut with a BANG!

Dumbledore walked ahead, taking large strides with his long, thin legs.

When they had turned a corner, into a deserted street, Dumbledore asked Katherine to hold onto her arm.

She obliged.

"Now, what I'm about to do will be a surprise for you. It might even scare you a bit. But you need to stay calm and keep hold of my arm." Dumbledore instructed.

Katherine nodded, a little worried about what was to come.

Dumbledore muttered something and Katherine felt like she was being squeezed through a tube. Her eyes bulged and her stomach turned.

A few seconds later, she was back to normal. She gasped, taking large gulps of air.

"Sorry, I should have warned you." Dumbledore apologised.

Katherine looked up and saw she was in a new location.

She was in a large, dark room. The only light was coming from a small dark window, at the top of the door.

"Where are we?! We were just- and now we're-"

Dumbledore watched her, slightly amused.

"I'll explain everything. But first, you should sit down."

Katherine sat on a comfortable chair.

"Okay, where should I start? This will be a lot of information and don't worry if you can't remember it all. First of all, your name isn't Katherine Malone. Its Katie Mostafa. And you are an orphan. Your parents died in a duel with a very bad person. And... how do I put this?...you're a witch, Katy. Wizards and witches exist. They're everywhere but they hide. Non-wizards , like Miss Agatha, they're called Muggles. I am Dumbledore, though you should call me professor Dumbledore. I am the headmaster of Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Its where all wizards and witches in this country go to school. You will be attending Hogwarts. You will be sorted into a house. You will buy a wand, robes, books etc... Your parents money will be handed down to you, so you can buy your things."

Katie sat, completely still. Instead of feeling confused, she felt excited!

"Really? Wait, does this mean I'm the only person that won't understand a lot of the wizardy stuff."

"No. There are a few muggleborns there. They grew up in the normal world, and their parents are muggles. Some of them are also new to this wizardry stuff as you say"

"Awesome! How do I get to school?"

Dumbledore smiled.

"You'll be staying with a professor called Minerva McGonagall. You shall call her professor McGonagall. This is only temporary. Further information will be given as soon as we sort it out. She will take you shopping and also accompany you to Hogwarts. Hogwarts is a boarding school and you shall stay in a dormitory with your fellow housemates. This is McGonagall's house and that is all you will be told for now. Goodbye Miss Mostafa. And good luck."

Before Katie could say anything, Dumbledore vanished.

"See you soon."

A/N

Hello!

This is my first chapter! I hope you enjoy it.
Please
Vote,
Comment and
Follow.

So...what do you think of Katie so far? This chapter is quite long but I don't think my future chapters will be so lengthy.

Until next time,

The Awkward Dinosaur.

;)