Chapter 17- The Kiss

The next day, Katie went about her day as if nothing had happened. Nothing unusual had taken place after the shops in Hogsmeade closed. After all the students had left. After the small village had turned off their lights for the evening. Katie had simply returned to Hogwarts, eaten her dinner, brushed her teeth, and gone to bed. Her dreams weren't plagued with endless thoughts of the boy who had held her when she cried.

"Closing time, lovebirds." Madame Rosmerta announced, when the clock struck 11.
Jacob soundlessly stood up and held Katie's hand as they walked out of their booth and into the cold, harsh wind that greeted them as soon as they stepped outside. Jacob stopped walking and faced Katie. She also paused and tilted her head so she could see Jacobs face properly.

A knocking came at Katie's door. Katie opened it cautiously, nobody ever came to her dorm. It was Tara.
"Tara?" Katie said, without any malice in her voice.
"I saw you crying yesterday. I wanted to check if you were okay."
"Why now? It's not like you haven't been responsible for my tears before." Katie responded harshly.
Katie's mood had quickly shifted from curiosity to frustration.
"Katie, don't..." Tara trailed off.
"Well I'm fine. It's not like I've never cried on my own before."
"You weren't on your own though. That boy...was he Jacob?"
"Yes." Katie didn't care to explain further.
"He's quite cute isn't he?"
Katie rolled her eyes.

The moonlight glinted on the side of Jacob's face. He gripped both of her hands and pulled her closer.
"Thanks Katie." He whispered.
"For what?" Katie's voice was loud and unnatural in the quiet, tranquil village. She realised then why Jacob had whispered.
"You told me your story. You knew there was a risk that I would've been angry but you still told me. That must have taken some guts, now I get why you're in Gryffindor."
But Katie didn't feel brave in that moment. Being that close to Jacob made her nervous and she wasn't sure how to deal with not being in control of the situation for once.

"I guess so."
Tara stood awkwardly in the doorway of Katie's room.
"Do-um-do you want to come in?"
Tara looked unsure and Katie realised that Tara was still afraid of her.
"Or we could go to the common room?"
Tara grinned in relief.
"Sure."

Jacob's face was difficult to read. It was hard to tell whether he was happy, sad, angry. Katie held her breath, afraid to move and ruin the moment.
"Katie."
His pale blue eyes looked almost white with the snow and the moon reflecting off his pupils. His fair skin looked translucent and Jacob looked more like a mystical creature from a story book than a human being.
"Jacob."

Katie and Tara walked into the common room and for a moment it was as if they were in their first year again, a much simpler time. Once people noticed she was with Tara they didn't dare say anything. It seemed Tara had a newfound popularity, one of the many perks of going out with a marauder, Katie thought bitterly. James and Lilly were deep in conversation by the fire place and Sirius' face dropped when he saw Katie.
James and Lilly abruptly ended their conversation and hid their papers quickly.
"Why'd you bring her?" Sirius asked.
"I thought she could help us." Tara responded.
"With what?" Katie questioned.
"We don't even know if we can trust her yet." James argued.
"I'm confused."
"Is this your way of making it up to her after ditching her?" Sirius asked Tara.
Katie's face went a shocking red.
"I don't care for whatever you're up to anyway. Also, I do not need anyone's sympathy." Katie spat before leaving the common room.

His face was a mere inches away from Katie's. Neither of them were in a rush to leave.

Katie rushed down the corridor, desperate to leave her 'friend' and escape to her room.

Katie's heart thumped in her chest. Suddenly, she could see everything. The little scar Jacob had below his left eye. How his eyes were slightly uneven. His hair, made messy from the wind.

Katie ran to her room, ignoring everything around her.
"Look where you're going!" McGonagall scolded.

Jacob stared at her, as if he was trying to memorise her face. As if nothing else mattered.

Katie stopped running, standing still outside the library. Students passed her, no one giving her a second glance. She was invisible to them.

Without warning, he pressed his lips to hers, his soft mouth against her chapped mouth. It felt weird. As if she was doing something she wasn't supposed to do. In her head it was the perfect first kiss: deserted, beautiful village; a boy that cared about her; picturesque views; the whole situation screamed romantic. Yet in her heart, Katie felt it was wrong. Reluctantly, Katie pushed Jacob away.
"I'm sorry. I just think I need to wait."
"Time," Jacob chuckled. "Something everyone wants but very few have the luxury of it. Don't worry Katie Mostafa. I won't deprive you of this, you can have time. All the time in the world. I'm willing to wait for you." And with a smile, Jacob vanished with the snow.