Chapter 15 - The Snow

Katie did not understand. Well, she did, but she didn't want to. Everyone at Hogwarts preached about equality and acceptance but Katie had never experienced any of those. The only times she felt accepted was around Jacob but lately, his visits to Hogsmeade seemed less frequent. He had to look after his mother a lot of the times and Katie worried about him. Every child deserved an education in Katie's opinion yet that wasn't Jacob's top priority. One time she had mentioned that maybe he should reconsider going to Hogwarts and he outright refused. His only concern was his mother which may have seemed sweet but Katie knew he was wasting his potential. One day, as bad as it was, Jacobs mother would die and then what would he do? He didn't have a proper education and as far as Katie could tell, Jacob only had his mother and if she wasn't working either, money was obviously a problem. She didn't want to seem rude or intrusive but Katie knew she had to talk to Dumbledore about his situation. He had helped her and she was adamant he would help Jacob too.

"A Jacob Dunkirk? In Hogsmeade? I don't think I'm familiar with his family." Dumbledore began.
"Um, well he's homeschooled and he only lives with his mother, his father was killed by Voldemort "
"Aah, I see. So, Katie Mostafa, are you doing this because Jacobs your friend or because you feel guilty and responsible for the death of his father?"
"That's not the point. I just think he'd really benefit from a proper education, given his mothers current state."
"Hmm, interesting. Well, if his mother is unwilling to send him and he's not too keen on coming, there's very little we can-"
"But we can try! Please...just try." Katie interrupted.
Katie thought he'd scold her for her interrupting him but he didn't, surprisingly. His eyes softened and he gave Katie Mostafa a look of pity mixed with regret?
"Oh Katie. At times your stubbornness reminds me of your father but you're nothing like him really. You're kind, generous and you have good intentions. I'm so sorry."
He suddenly left the room and Katie was left, alone and confused. Dumbledore had acted so strange just then. However, Katie decided to focus all her energy on Jacob. She had no time for any distractions. There was just one problem-there was a huge distraction waiting in her common room. Four distractions actually.

Katie had managed to avoid the marauders for most of the day by camping out in the library but she was disturbed by loud yells of excitement outside. Struggling to ignore it, Katie's curiosity got the better of her and she stared out the window. Small flakes of pure white snow were settling on the grounds of Hogwarts, glinting in the light, adding to the air of natural beauty that often surrounded Hogwarts. Everyone ran inside, presumably to get their hats, gloves and scarves, and for a few moments, the entire place was peaceful. The snow lay there, flat and untouched, begging Katie to come outside. She was ready to leave until she saw the excited faces of the other students rushing past the window, barely giving Katie a second glance. Snowballs were being thrown and snow angels were forming on the ground and for one desperate second, Katie felt as if she was part of it. Then the second passed and Katie was filled with a sense of dread. She had always been alone and she was used to it but it was moments like these, when everyone else was joined in joyful unity, that she felt completely isolated. Although there was only a thick glass window separating her from the others, she felt as if there were oceans between them. Katie felt an overwhelming urge to cry yet she was helpless. She didn't want to draw any unwanted attention to herself. A single, perfect tear rolled down Katie's pale white cheeks, leaving a trail of water in its wake.
"Jacob, I need you..." she whispered.
Her thoughts of loneliness seemed to multiply in her head and she couldn't do anything about it. A snowball hit the window, inches away from where Katie had been resting her forehead. Her head jolted away in shock but she relaxed when she realised it was only a few first years. The boy that had thrown it stared in horror when he saw Katie behind the window, unsure of how she would react. He had frozen in his position until Katie smiled, reassuringly, and his body visibly relaxed. He smiled back at Katie until an older child, his brother presumably, dragged him away from Katie's gaze.