Chapter One

"May I please have a 16 ounce vanilla latte to go?"

"Sure thing, Emma." The barista replied, grabbing the requested cup size and a blue Sharpie.

"Thank you, Harper." I said.

"You don't usually get your coffee to go. What's going on?" Harper asked, passing the cup to the barista next to her.

"I'm actually heading to Starling for awhile. An old friend called and wanted to meet up."

"Ohh. What's his name?" She asked, grinning at me as she took the next customer's order.

"Oh um...well...it's Oliver."

"Wait. Like Oliver Queen? The boy who you slept with on prom night?" She asked, her eyes wide with the idea of potential gossip.

"Yes, it's Oliver Queen, but we did not sleep together. He got drunk so I rented him a hotel room and put him to bed BY HIMSELF. Besides, I was dating Roy at the time. I would never cheat on someone, Harper." I said, making sure she got the part about us not sleeping in the same bed.

"Okay, fine. Whatever you say. Have fun and be safe." Harper said, handing me my latte.

I smiled and tucked my wallet into my shoulder bag. My eyes wandered around the small coffee shop. I loved it here. "Jitters" was my go-to place for a quick cup of coffee in Central City. I had only lived here since I graduated from medical school, but it felt like home. More so than Starling City ever had when I was growing up there.

I tossed my bag into the backseat of my black Tahoe and took a long sip of my caffeinated drink before shoving my key into the ignition and starting the long drive to my hometown.

I had only been driving for an hour or so when my phone rang. I saw that the caller ID said "Barry Allen", so I answered.

"Hey, Barry. What's going on?" I asked, putting him on speaker and setting my phone next to my cup of coffee.

"Do you want some company on your drive? I could use a talk and a good long run back here." Barry replied.

"Sure. Do you want me to come get you or are you just going to do your little "Poof, I'm in your car thing?"

"The latter." Barry said, suddenly in the passenger seat next to me.

I laughed and ended the call.

"Hi, Barry." I said, smiling over at him before focusing back on the road.

"Hey, Emma. You do know that I could have just run you to Star City, right?" He asked.

"I know, but I wanted to have my car and I need a good long drive to clear my head before I get there." I explained.

"I can understand that. I mean you haven't been back since you left for college. Are you sure you want to do this? You do know what Oliver does, right?"

"Of course I know. I'm surprised nobody else has figured out that he's the Green Arrow. I'm going back because I want to see him and a few other people. Oliver and I were really close friends growing up. I've missed him. And I know you're worried about me being around Roy too, but I promise I'll avoid him as much as possible."

"I just don't want to see you get hurt. It sounds like you and Roy had a rocky relationship that ended in some serious heartbreak for at least one of you." Barry reminded.

"I know, Barry. Trust me, I have no interest in getting back together with him. Besides, isn't he in Oliver's little group now?" I asked.

"Yeah. He goes by 'Arsenal' now. Be careful, Ems. He can be dangerous."